Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Outdoor/Barn Wedding and Reception Suggestions

My fiance and I are looking to get married in July of 2012.  We are planning on having the wedding in the Pittsburgh area, but we currently live in the DFW area in TX.  Will be going home soon to check out some venues and need some suggestions.  I've looked at Armstrong Farms - really pretty but $7000 just for the basic rental of the place...and I also looked at Springwood which reached $11,000.  That's way too much for us!  I'm trying to spend in and around $7000 total, doing a lot of DIY things for the entire gig.  Has anyone heard about the Five Pines Barn or Shady Elms Farm?  THose look beautiful online and I'm hoping to get more info!

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Re: Outdoor/Barn Wedding and Reception Suggestions

• Bride2687Bride2687 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the same situation as you.  My FI and I are getting married in October 2012 and we would love nothing more than to have a rustic barn wedding.  But we also don't want to spend a small fortune renting a venue and we are doing a lot of DIY things as well.

I've come across Five Pines Barn in my search for a barn wedding venue close to the city, but I was unable to find a website for them.  I e-mailed the contact person for the venue and he responded to me right away and said that he does not advertise his venue and he will begin taking reservations for the 2012 season after this October.  He also informed me that the rental price is $3500, but did not tell me what all was included for that $3500 and that I could call to find out more information.  The contact person is Steve and his e-mail is sguffey1500@comcast.net.  I'll be calling him tomorrow to find out more info out the venue b/c from the pictures I've seen it looks beautiful!

I've also looked at Shady Elms Farm and it seemed too expensive for my FI and I, so we scratched that venue off of our list.

If you are willing to travel a little further east of the city, there is a beautiful barn called the Hayloft and it is in Rockwood, Pa in Somerset county.  They are deff worth checking out.  The only reason my FI and I are not getting married there is because they do not host weddings in October b/c they run a haunted house.  Check out the website at blshayloft.com.

Good luck searching for your venue!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tara5384Tara5384 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the Hayloft as well, but summer 2012 was already booked! The Barn at Fallingwater is pretty, but it doesn't fit a ton of people. If you're having a smaller wedding, I'd check it out.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually just got done looking at an e-mail for West Overton Barn and Distillery and the venues looks beautiful.  Plus they sent me catering information and so far the caterer, Carson's, is the most reasonable catering compnay I've come across in my search so far.  The rental price for the disterlly is only $900 and includes so much!  It is worth checking out.  The venue isn't too far away from Pittsburgh either, just take the Pa Turnpike and get off at the New Stanton exit.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • heb557heb557 member
    edited December 2011
    I have heard of  Cheeseman Farm (Also known as Betsy's Barn).  I've never been, but I heard it's beautiful! It's in Portersville! Happy Venue Shopping!
    We're Married!! And I couldn't be happier!
  • pittRN412pittRN412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married May 2012 at the Mayernik Center in Avonworth Community Park.  The site is a beautiful lodge that fits up to 200. You can get married inside or outside and they have a site coordinator to help you with all your planning (big plus if you are planning from OOT). It's rental fees are 2200 for Saturday and 1800 for Friday/Sunday. The only caveat is that they book up incredibly fast. I booked my May wedding this past Febuary and many of the peak months were already almost full! Good luck, and I hope you find something that you love!
  • pookie518pookie518 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister had the most wonderful and beautiful wedding at Betsy's Barn. The staff was wonderful and the site was stunning. So much so that I am trying to plan a very similar celebration at another venue.

The problem that I keep running into is trying to find my very own rustic/ chic barn wedding without paying over double what she did. I found the website for Armstrong Farms and fell in love. But my fiance and I went out to vist the barn tonight and my heart sank. $7,000 for the venue, not even including the service fees, catering, and it's service fees and tax. That could take the top of my budget of around $9,000 (for everything!) and blow it right out of the water!

My FI and I are going to look at Shady Elms (so pretty) next, and even though it is much cheaper, we are affraid that all the costs could rack up out of our budget range as well.

Anyone know of any other barns that won't cost me both arms and legs?
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I looked at Armstrong Farms, loved it and then the price broke our hearts.  We've also checked out the Barn at Falling Water, Five Pines Barn and West Overton Barn and Distillery.  As of right now we have our hearts set on West Overton.  They are very decently priced and so is the catering company that they exclusively work with.  My FI and I were invited for a tour and to brunch so that we could taste the food and we're going at the end of July.  Fingers crossed that this is our venue.  You should check it out too!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ChelsFChelsF member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Betsy's Barn on Cheesemans Farm is beautiful!! Its about 30-40 miles north of the city, but it is really nice!
  • edited December 2011
    Bell's Banquets in Mt. Pleasant...AMAZING!  Crystal Chandeliers hanging from barn rafters!  2 lofts overlooking the dance floor.  Contact person Ian Bell, has been wonderful at keeping in contact via email/phone.  Soo excited to be having my June 2012 reception there.
  • edited December 2011
    katym27 - Any updates? I am in the same boat as you.
  • BrittalyseBrittalyse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are getting married at Lingrow Farms in Leechburg next June.  It was the first and only venue we visited and absolutely fell in love.  The scenery is just beautiful.  They do ceremonies out by the lake under a gazebo with the option of the bride coming from the other side of the lake in a horse and carriage.  The barn itself is really pretty too, and big.  It has two great outdoor decks as well.  I highly recommend checking it out! 
  • Y I OughtaY I Oughta member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_outdoorbarn-wedding-reception-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:75620a7e-c6d9-4f3c-be12-688bee1328b5Post:9dbaf284-a5c6-498e-8536-b1eb71cdc405">Re: Outdoor/Barn Wedding and Reception Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance and I are getting married at Lingrow Farms in Leechburg next June.  It was the first and only venue we visited and absolutely fell in love.  The scenery is just beautiful.  They do ceremonies out by the lake under a gazebo with the option of the bride coming from the other side of the lake in a horse and carriage.  The barn itself is really pretty too, and big.  It has two great outdoor decks as well.  I highly recommend checking it out! 
    Posted by Brittalyse[/QUOTE]

If Armstrong was too much at $7000 I'm sure Lingrow will be too. When we looked at Lingrow the cost was upwards of $8000 and I hear it's gone up.
    20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am looking for the same thing as you guys.  If you find any information out, please let me know.  
  • hturkovichturkovic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Hayloft is the most affordable in the Western PA region.  We've looked into just about every barn/farm/outdoor venue.  It is very pretty and you can download a majority of their prices and information straight from their website.
  • LisaEloineLisaEloine member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    hello. Not sure if you found something. I would recommend the barn at friedman's farm.  www.friedmanfarms.com. I am a wedding planner in the Poconos area. I saw it a few weeks ago and it is stunning. The cost is about $3,500. They only have openings in July and August I think in 2012.

• does anybody know how much it is to rent out Betsy's Barn at cheeseman's farm?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards