40-Plus Brides
Options

no idea where to have reception...

uggh.  Hi... I'm kind of new here, and starting to plan for the wedding on 9/22/12.  We've been engaged since July 2010, but needed to wait a while.. just cause, LOL!!... I need to wait, but I think we are ready, LOL!!

Anyway, moving along with the church for the wedding... which was a surprise to me.  We visited a non-denominational church chapel, and it just didn't do it for me.. I felt sad leaving, and realized I wanted to go back to my childhood church and see if we can marry there.  Amazingly I think we can... still working with the deacon, have to join the parish, but my history is there, my father loved that church, had his funeral mass there, had my brother's funeral mass there, unfortunately alot of tragedy in my life as a kid, but nevertheless, loved my childhood and my town and that church is all part of it.  So really excited that is working out for us.

Given that, I first wanted to just reserve a huge picnic grove and just have a mass picnic for the reception, but now I'm thinking otherwise.

We don't want to spend alot of money, but that's probably impossible if you want to have a reception inside somewhere right?  I have no idea where to start... and the time is ticking.  I guess I will start calling places today... but I think it's amazing how your wants change when you start planning, LOL!!

Re: no idea where to have reception...

• Options
    We need to know in what area and what price range you are thinking of so we can give you some ideas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In the southwest suburbs of Chicago.. we seriously only want to spend like $3,000 max... is that horrible?   ... but then I don't know, I have never been married, I have no idea of prices, etc... but I guess I should start calling.  We initially wanted to do the picnic cause we have alot of friends, and my family is HUGE!, so if I had the perfect reception, it would be $10,000 at least... and we aren't doing that.

We first wanted something small, but we have so many people who want to come and celebrate, I want to find something where alot of people can come, but won't break the bank, ugggh.  I doubt very much we will be paying for alcohol... I do not drink, and he is not a big drinker, and I really don't want to put out that $$$ for alcohol... so booze cost won't be in there... I'd rather put that money into a place and not increase the cost from alcohol... but then again, I don't know.  I guess I should say "I'd rather not pay for alcohol".

We started out small, from an outdoor wedding in a back yard, to getting married in a church now, LOL!!... with a big white dress, LOL!!.... and now I'm moving to an inside reception... crazy!
  • Options
    H and I are in Wheaton.  We had our reception at Klein Creek Golf Club.  50+ peeps, heavy apps, cake, and hosted bar on a Sunday evening.  Came in at about $3000 I think.
  • Options

Planning is half the fun, or least so I am told.  Enjoy!

• Options
    Also, don't forget that there are site specific boards (go to  the blue vertical bar on the left of the screen--you'll have to scroll up from here--Click on LOCAL WEDDING Boards, and find your areas there) and those ladies might have ideas.  Good luck!
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards