Getting in Shape
Options

End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss

Good Morning!

Week 1!  Are you excited?  I totally am.

I hope everyone did their initial fitness test.  My H and i did ours last night and the poor man was not pleased to learn that women are pretty notorious for having better lower-body strength.  I schooled him hardcore in the squats.  That'll teach him to underestimate me! 

I did these challenges last summer so I wasn't really surprised that my test qualifies me for the harder grouping of sets.  Apparently it DID work last year.  I could barely pound out 10 pushups at last year's initial test and this time I did about 40 before I collapsed in a puddle.  :)
I'm modifying the crunches since I've kept up on the maintenance for those and know I still can do 200 standard.  I'll be doing an assortment including bicycle, oblique, and reverse crunches.  Reverse crunches kill me.

Feel free to post any questions, chat, or whatever in this thread.  I'd love to see a status post from everyone at week end.

Original post with rules, ifo, etc..  http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-board-fitness-challenge-join-us

Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss

• Options
    Going to try the push-up and squat challenge... not surprisingly, I'm a weenie and starting at the lowest level.

I've always been terrible at push-ups.  They hurt my wrists and elbows.  If anyone has any tips or tricks to help me do more better, I'd appreciate it! 

Good luck everyone! 
    ~*~ We are just two people who found each other. No more, no less. ~*~ Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest My journey to a better me.
  • Options
    Don't worry!  Last round, I started on the lowest for everything except the crunches I think.

Just think how big of a change completing it will be.  You're gonna be a rockstar.  I know it.
  • Options
    I started on week three for crunches and squats since my initial test was 60 (crunches) and 65 (squats). My max reps for crunches was 40 and for squats it was 34 after the 4 sets.

Push ups are an entirely different animal. I barely did 10 modified ones during the initial test. So I started on week one for those. I managed a max rep of 8 after the 4 sets. I am determined to be able to do a normal push up . . . one day! :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Well, I was able to complete initial test(s) last night, and did first day workout today. To make myself accountable, I posted on my facebook as well as contacting some people directly to ask how the workouts go, so that I know I will have someone else to help encourage me. 

anna.oskar I totally feel you on the reverse crunches. I remember in High School, we had a teacher at the beginning of the year ask us to write down on a piece of paper what we most wanted to change about our bodies. Overwhelmingly, the girls said abs, so low and behold I have done every kind of sit-up known to man. One thing that killed was also holding a v-up. She had us extend our legs, and hold them while we brought our toso to the classic 35 degree angle. Also on every 5 count, we had to hold the v position (sit up and legs up) for 15 seconds or more. That was killer, and we always did this before the weekends. We had one tough instructor!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just completed my sets.

pushups: 10

squats:     13

crunches:  15 reverse
                      18 bicycle
                      10 r. oblique
                      10 l. oblique
                      20 reverse
  • Options
    I did day 1 of the lowest level of the pushup challenge last night. My issue is I have pathetically weak arms. I can squat for days, but pushups kill me. I can do several from-the-knee pushups, but I can only go 1/2 of the way down on a fully extended pushup. 

I didn't want to play it easy, so I am trying to do it fully extended. But after I went through the cycle last night, I felt like a barely did anything. I'm not sore today at all. Since I'm not going down all the way, I think I'm not really working anything.

Wednesday I plan to do the middle level from the knee and hopefully have more results. 
  • Options
    FI and I are signing up for all three!  I've got money he can fully complete all three of these already, so I think he might be doing this for my sake (not that I mind)

I'm a day behind and only had time to do the trial today, but I'll make up for it this week!

Trial Results from Yesterday:
    Sit-ups: starting on week 3 (FI would be higher but that's when the dog decided it was a good idea to try and stand on him)
    Push Ups: I'm doing the middle one, FI is starting on either week 4 or 5
    Squats: starting on week 3, in the second column

I'm a little sad that my pushup count is lower than what it was last summer, but that's all the more reason to get started again!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Your FI could always alter the exercises to make them more challenging.  That's what I'm doing on the crunches.  Cycling between reverse crunches, oblique crunches and bucycle crunches.  Definitely kicks it up a notch!
  • Options
    I downloaded the apps onto my phone and my fiance and I did day 1 today :). We are both on level 3 to start according to the app. The crunches weren't really a challenge for me today but the pushups I definitely struggled (and I only did them on knees). Im excited to be able do them all at the end because that's quite the accomplishment!
  • Options
    The squats are intense.  I pushed through last night and did quite a few in my exhaustion set and i AM feeling it this morning.
  • Options
    does anyone else not wait the entire "rest" time -- 120 just seems NUTS!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:2cdbab85-318c-4c0f-9f9d-40863df5e6ee">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Week 1</a>:
    [QUOTE]does anyone else not wait the entire "rest" time -- 120 just seems NUTS!
    Posted by sarahlm619[/QUOTE]

recovery time can be jusst as important as workout time.  i really do recommend not shortening it much.  When you get to the really pushing it sets, your body should thank you.  ;)
  • Options
    How's everyone doing?

I'm loving it.  No problems to report at all.  I'm getting some really good numbers on my fatigue set and am feeling really good about being able to complete them all eventually.
  • Options
    I swear I posted last week, but my post is nowhere to be found!!! :-(

ANYWAY, week one went well. I ended up cutting out the squat challenge because I am doing C25K, too, and my knees were starting to bother me.

Push ups are my killer. I am doing modified on my knees and was able to pump out 12 in my fatigue set. Crunches are going well, too, and I am impressing myself with how many I can do; although, I am getting bored doing so many reps per set. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Question: I am still doing Jillian Michaels DVDs such as 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week Six-Pack, etc. Should I not do them when I am doing my challenge, or can I combine exercises? I am worried about getting too tired or fatigued to make either work out my best effort. Thoughts?

Have a great week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Pburke2010Pburke2010 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I have the 200 squats and 200 crunches on my phone. I have the 200 push ups, but I don't think I'm ready for that. So I don't know what week I'm on, but it always asks if too hard just right or too easy. I definitely feel the squats and crunches which is good. I add this on to my workout schedule. I'm also doing the mad abs march from pinterest (the sit ups I don't do bc of this challenge). I would say its ok to add this to a workout regime unless you feel really fatigued or sore and not recovering. Your body will tell you if its too much.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:17df4540-577c-4ec5-a0f4-6490a3404c6c">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I swear I posted last week, but my post is nowhere to be found!!! :-( ANYWAY, week one went well. I ended up cutting out the squat challenge because I am doing C25K, too, and my knees were starting to bother me. Push ups are my killer. I am doing modified on my knees and was able to pump out 12 in my fatigue set. Crunches are going well, too, and I am impressing myself with how many I can do; although, I am getting bored doing so many reps per set. I'm sure I'll get over it. Question: I am still doing Jillian Michaels DVDs such as 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week Six-Pack, etc. Should I not do them when I am doing my challenge, or can I combine exercises? I am worried about getting too tired or fatigued to make either work out my best effort. Thoughts? Have a great week!
    Posted by lizziemc1775[/QUOTE]

TK was wonky last week (when is it not?) and a lot of post got eaten.

Tip for you: when you do the pushups, put a rolled up towel under your knees. It help SO much.

I don't see a problem with combining exercises as long as you stop if there is pain, and stop if you're so tired that you are unable to perform the exercises with decent form.  Bad form can be damaging to your body (in my opinion)
  • Options
    Ah, oh my gosh! I got shingles and haven't been on the boards due to it so I missed the beginning of the challenge! I hope no one minds if I just jump in a lag a little? What did you guys decide on?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:d3593e50-c722-47e7-bc90-9f00019c21a0">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss : TK was wonky last week (when is it not?) and a lot of post got eaten. Tip for you: when you do the pushups<strong>, put a rolled up towel under your knees.</strong> It help SO much. I don't see a problem with combining exercises as long as you stop if there is pain, and stop if you're so tired that you are unable to perform the exercises with decent form.  Bad form can be damaging to your body (in my opinion)
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]
    That's such a good idea! I am doing them with my bare knees on hardwood floor & it kills me. I'll be using that trick tonight. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:17df4540-577c-4ec5-a0f4-6490a3404c6c">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss</a>:
    [QUOTE]I swear I posted last week, but my post is nowhere to be found!!! :-( ANYWAY, week one went well. I ended up cutting out the squat challenge because I am doing C25K, too, and my knees were starting to bother me. Push ups are my killer. I am doing modified on my knees and was able to pump out 12 in my fatigue set. Crunches are going well, too, and I am impressing myself with how many I can do; although, I am getting bored doing so many reps per set. I'm sure I'll get over it. Question: I am still doing Jillian Michaels DVDs such as 30DS, No More Trouble Zones, 6 Week Six-Pack, etc. Should I not do them when I am doing my challenge, or can I combine exercises? I am worried about getting too tired or fatigued to make either work out my best effort. Thoughts? Have a great week!
    Posted by lizziemc1775[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, my post got eaten too. The only thing I would still recommend is one day of the week off completely. Your body needs time to heal from all the hard work you're doing. So maybe just a short walk if you have to do something on that one day... </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:a76c0120-d93e-494f-945e-389cba20260f">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ah, oh my gosh! I got shingles and haven't been on the boards due to it so I missed the beginning of the challenge! I hope no one minds if I just jump in a lag a little? What did you guys decide on?
    Posted by AshnRobo[/QUOTE]
     <div>I think this is fine, cannot obviously speak for the moderator, but having someone starting a week behind isn't a bad thing. The decision was to do one(or more) of the following </div><div><a href="http://hundredpushups.com/" rel="nofollow">http://hundredpushups.com/</a></div><div><a href="http://www.twohundredsquats.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.twohundredsquats.com/</a></div><div><a href="http://www.twohundredsitups.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.twohundredsitups.com/</a></div><div>
    </div><div>You can see the original discussion at</div><div><a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-board-fitness-challenge-join-us">http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-board-fitness-challenge-join-us</a></div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jump right in!  You're only a week behind!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm late to the game as well, but downloaded the squats and pushup apps to my phone. I could only do 7 push ups so started at Week 1, day 1. :(

However, I got to like 55 squats and started on Week 3! Hope to do this every other day, and am excited for some results!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Last week I completed Day 1 and 2. I was so busy the last few days that I never got to do Day 3 and now it's Monday...time for Day 1 again. Should I just do day 3 of last week and continue that way, mixing up the week? Or should I skip Day 3 of last week and just start with Day 1 of this week?? Confused!
  • Options
    If you think you can push into the next week, go for it!  Otherwise, if it's too much of a challenge I'd stick with the missed day.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_end-of-winter-challenge-week-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:2a0a6553-8db5-4087-8338-caa662243da2Post:9e276769-bb2e-471a-88e8-f94863c4ded6">Re: End of Winter CHALLENGE - Check-in, Vent, and Discuss</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you think you can push into the next week, go for it!  Otherwise, if it's too much of a challenge I'd stick with the missed day.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]
    Considering that I need to whip these arms into shape as quickly as possible, I'm heading right into the next week. Thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards