Wedding Reception Forum

Is Up-Lighting Worth It?

We are having our formal reception in the ballroom at my parent's country club.  It is a very dramatic space with 30-40 foot ceilings.  I am considering using up-lighting to hilight how beautiful the space is and for a dramatic and classy effect.  However, it's not exactly cheap.  I can fit it into our budget, but is it worth it?  Have any of you guys used it?  Thoughts?  I've included a link to the company I'd be using.  TIA!

http://www.tps-nc.com/
To go "portfolio" and then "decor lighting- venue accent lighting"
We'd go with a gold/candle light color technically called "flame"
Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
image 148 Are ready to party!
image 77 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: Is Up-Lighting Worth It?

• I think it can make a HUGE difference in the feel of a room. Uplighting was a must have for us.

I've been to several weddings at the same venue, and when there is uplighting, it just transforms the room and I forget that I've been in that same space dozens of times.

See if your lighting people have done lighting in your venue and what they recommend. Also ask people who work at the country club what they think of uplighting in the space. 
  • I've spoken to the lighting people and they have worked with our venue in the past, it is actually featured in thier "portfolio" section.  They presented me with several options, only one of which could possibly fit in the budget.  The country club itself will pretty much let me do whatever I want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_up-lighting-worth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:030ca81e-1065-4558-9c57-da9352e86d10Post:1fd1cec0-e6ed-4fbd-9656-4e2bb1bd180d">Re: Is Up-Lighting Worth It?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it can make a HUGE difference in the feel of a room. Uplighting was a must have for us. I've been to several weddings at the same venue, and when there is uplighting, it just transforms the room and I forget that I've been in that same space dozens of times. See if your lighting people have done lighting in your venue and what they recommend. Also ask people who work at the country club what they think of uplighting in the space. 
    Posted by cebrady89[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this.  I think it can totally change the look & feel of a room, but only you can decide if it is <em>worth </em>it to you.</div><div>
    </div><div>Not sure what your music situation is, but room uplighting is included with our DJ.  I know a lot of DJs also offer uplighting services, so maybe it would be less costly if you combined services?</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Maybe just use uplighting in one section of the room? We're using it behind the head table on the stage - the company that is doing all our linens and centerpieces is bringing in three large drapes and tying them in sections behing the head table and doing uplighting in our colors on those. Not only is it covering up the windows on that wall, but it's going to highlight the wedding party while we're all sitting up there.

So you don't necessarily have to do the whole room, but maybe just pick a spot or two that you want for dramatic effect. That will save you some money but still have some pop to the room.
    BFP #1: 5/20/12 ~ EDD: 2/20/13 ~ Betas at 221: 5/24/12 ~ Betas at 917: 5/29/12 ~ M/C: 5/29/12 BFP #2: 10/17/12 (13dpo) ~ EDD: 6/29/13 Beta #1 @ 2164: 10/22/12 ~ 1st u/s: 10/26/12 = empty ute Beta #2 @ 7610: 10/26/12 ~ 2nd u/s: 10/30/12 = measuring at 5w6d 3rd u/s: 11/5/12 = HB of 150 ~ 4th u/s: 11/27/12 = perfect wiggly LO! Lilypie Maternity tickers "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end." Image and video hosting by TinyPic Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers My Randomness Blog ~ The TTCAL Blog ~ My Wedding Blog
  • I loveeee uplighting, its a must for me. But everyone is different, and everyones feel they are going for is different! I do think with those high ceilings it might have a neat effect - showcase the architecture but also bring the room in so its welcoming, if that makes sense? up to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards