Wedding Reception Forum

Anyone playing the Shoe Game at your reception?

Hey ladies, was thinking of playing this game at our reception.  Looks super cute! Was wondering when we should do it?  Like before the first dance?  Before cake?  Etc......

Re: Anyone playing the Shoe Game at your reception?

• What is the shoe game?
  • My FI and I went to a wedding where the couple did this.  My fiance really liked it (and now wants to do it at our wedding); I'm not really into it.  It's not that I don't think it's cute, and it went over fine at the one wedding I saw it in.  I just prefer, when I'm at a wedding, to be as un-managed by the DJ as possible- you know, like, there's a first dance and a cake cutting and then we can all just go dance without further distractions like games or bouquet tosses or whatever.

I will say that it works MUCH better at a wedding (like the one I saw it in) where there isn't going to be much (or any) dancing.  Otherwise, maybe try to lump it in with the cake-cutting so that you're not creating too much of a lull in the dancing?
  • We did something similar, but our DJ called it the newlywed game and he had a 'bride' and 'groom' rubber ducky on a stick for each of us, so we didn't have to take our shoes off (that seems kind of odd, and I wouldn't want to hold H's sweaty shoe).  We also didn't get anyone else involved like your link described, it was just the two of us on the dance floor.

We did it right after we cut the cake while cake was being served/eaten and it flowed really well because it didn't break up the dancing any more than the cake cutting already would have, plus it gave people some different entertainment while they were eating.

Our guests really enjoyed it and we got a lot of compliments.  My mom particularly enjoyed the question "who has the craziest family?" and we both automatically held up the 'bride' rubber ducky.  (it's true, and my family knows it, LOL).  It was actually really fun.
    Anniversary
  • Yeah, I'm seeing some questions in there that probably would not go over well when mixed with alcohol.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I thought of doing this game at our reception but a lot of the ladies on here advised against doing games at wedding receptions so I didn't.  I'm glad I didn't because there wouldn't have been enough time.  Open dancing didn't start until 9:30ish (dinner was around 7:15)
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I'd definitely be careful which questions you choose to use. And, for the love of all that is holy, please use something other than shoes! Out of curiosity, what purpose is there for the bridal party to be there? I just mean the way the website describes it is sort if awkward... like they'd be blocking the guests' views.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think between the first dance, mother/father dances, cake cutting, tosses, etc.....it just cuts too much time into the dancing part of the reception.  It's a cute idea for the right setting/group of people, but I'm already trying to find ways to cut down on time the guests are stuck sitting in their seats watching something else going on.
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You know your guests best but my personal opinion is that games do not belong at a wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think it sounds fun and as a guest, I'd get a kick of it at a reception. I'd do it after the cake
  • I think this sounds fun! Definitely needs the right crowd and some alcohol, but I am now considering it! Haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    June 2013 brides December 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaids Dress
  • I think this is super cute...I could see it being a big hit at a wedding...while the cake is getting passed out does sound like a good time to do it...or another time when dancing has been stopped anyway...

btw it's your wedding so if you want to play this game play it! :)
  • This is basically a tradition at my family weddings! It works really well if you're very close with your family, because they are in on the jokes as well. If you don't live close to your family anymore and this is the first or second time some of your friends are meeting your soon to be hubby, I would probably stay away from it.
    It's for sure I'm gonna love you all the way. Frank Sinatra
  • I say go for it if it something you really want ! Everyone that loves you will love it =) And we hope only people that love you are at your reception ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What about doing it at the rehearsal dinner? That might be cute (but I agree, don't use shoes)
    Lizzie
  • I just heard of this yesterday. I'm super easiily embarrased and really don't want to be the center of attention like that. (FI agrees) so we're not going to do it. But it does look super cute! 

I think you should do it after the cake cutting, but before any tosses.
    FI thinks after the cake cutting but before dances (not sure the order of your events).

Follow Me on Pinterest

Visit The Knot!    Visit The Nest!   
  • Boo for games at a wedding!  Seems like something that would be better served for a dual bachelor/ette party.
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
  • No for me.

I did photograph a wedding where the couple did this. BUT, it was a very small beach wedding with immediate family only (maybe 15-20 people total) and a casual dinner in their rental cottage. They played it before dinner, and it was cute.

I think for a larger wedding, I wouldn't bother. It's really sad to say, but I can't tell you how many weddings I photograph where the guests don't even bother to pay attention to the really important things like first dance, parent dances, and cake cutting. They continue eating or their own conversations. It really makes me mad, because I think about how much their friends spent to have them there and they can't even bother to watch the first dance. :(  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_anyone-playing-shoe-game-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:52555ad4-b98e-41bf-ab77-8fb8d9ca9c5cPost:2f784ee6-a776-497a-a56d-8ac63060c7db">Re: Anyone playing the Shoe Game at your reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No for me. I did photograph a wedding where the couple did this. BUT, it was a very small beach wedding with immediate family only (maybe 15-20 people total) and a casual dinner in their rental cottage. They played it before dinner, and it was cute. I think for a larger wedding, I wouldn't bother. It's really sad to say, but I can't tell you how many weddings I photograph where the guests don't even bother to pay attention to the really important things like first dance, parent dances, and cake cutting. They continue eating or their own conversations. <strong>It really makes me mad, because I think about how much their friends spent to have them there and they can't even bother to watch the first dance. :( </strong> 
    Posted by Starfish0116[/QUOTE]

Unless you have an elaborate choreographed dance, I don't think many people watch this beyond the first couple of seconds. I know I don't, and I don't expect my guests to either. The dance is not about the guests. That's why we're keeping it as short as possible... but we still want that special moment as husband and wife.

As for the game, I wouldn't want to do it at a wedding, but you know your guest list better than we do.
    Anniversary
  • I gree with not doing this at the wedding. But the rehearsal dinner may be fun!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think just a few games at a wedding reception is a good idea to get young and older people in attendance to join in,mingle and have fun.Our Best man suggested some so I am sure we will pick from his ideas -- besides -- it makes the event more unique and memorable if u do something different besides the usual things u find at weddings.Since there won't be many if any single people - I am not doing bouquet toss or garter toss and so this would be good substitute.Of course we are planning to have music and some dancing as well - even to party tunes like macarena,locomotion,chicken dance and the hustle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards