Catholic Weddings

Is this music appropriate?

We have a meeting with the music director at our church  later in February, but I'd like to come in with some ideas. He sent us a little booklet but it didn't totally help me. Here's what I'm thinking so far: 

Bridal Party Processional - Canon in D (I know this will be okay)

Bride's Processional - Vangelis' Hymne (first choice) 
 or
Handel's Water Music- Air (link goes to piano version. I think it sounds so much better with a string quartet, but that's not in to budget) 

Recessional -  Tchaikovsky's Solemn March (Again, not sure how this will sound with just a piano, but it's just so...happy. I love it) 

Also, we're just having a ceremony, not a full Mass. The music director said we could talk about the canter fees at our meeting, but I'm having trouble imagining what we'll need a canter for? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is this music appropriate?

• Even outside a mass, there is the psalm and the Gospel acclamation sung.

Depending on the requirements of the parish, they may also require a gathering song or closing song to be sung.

• Not sure about your music choices.  Some parishes are more strict than others, so it's best to wait until your appointment with the music director :) 

• I would wait and see what the music director says. We were given a booklet from the church with suggested music and if we wanted anything different, we had to pay an extra $100 for the music director to learn the new songs. And we're having the responsorial psalm read instead of sung - it was ok'ed by our Priest. We couldn't justify hiring a cantor (an extra $150) for such a small part of the wedding mass.
  • I wasn't advised against having a gathering hymn, so that just illustrates how much it varies by parish. 

• Ditto to asking about it.  We asked for a song that I'd heard as the recessional at a mass at another parish for our recessional, and there was no extra charge.  The music director just asked me if I had a recording or a YouTube video so he could hear it, and then he ordered the music.

I kind of went under the guidelines of, "If it's in the hymnal or I've heard it at mass, it's okay."  Obviously this isn't always the case because there are some songs that are just not appropriate for just any service, but it was a pretty good guideline.

I think it will be helpful if you have these songs available for your music director to hear.  In my case, I just emailed him links to YouTube videos.
    Anniversary

• I also ditto waiting to speak with the music director. At my home parish, I cantored many weddings at no cost. I could not justify charging someone additional money on what is already an incredibly expensive day. God gave me a gift to share with others, not to use for personal gain. 

withgod Meme
    Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
    TTC #1 since 10.2011
    BFP 8.27.11 M/C. BFP #2 4.2.12 M.C
    2.8.13- dx with simple endometrial hyperplasia. 3 cycles of provera.
    3/6/12-dx with raynaud?s syndrome
    PGAL/PAL/PAIF/SAIF all welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards