Retro and Vintage Weddings
Options

Wedding Guest's Attire

We'll be having a vintage, picnic-themed reception in the park. I'm thinking gingham prints, patchwork quilts, wicker picnic baskets, mason jars filled with sunflowers/wildflowers, berry pies, lemonade, Coca-Cola bottles, bubble blowing, horseshoe games... Like these cute kids.

How do you tell your guests what you want them to wear?

I want our guests to be comfortable for the summer heat, but also somewhat dressed up. In my perfect vision, girls would be wearing sundresses and sun hats; guys would be in button-up white shirts with beige pants, suspenders, and driving hats. I know that I can't expect that from everyone, but how do I tell them "picnic" without getting jeans and faded T-shirts? 

Re: Wedding Guest's Attire

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I found a great website I think you should look at:

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://jitterbugweddings.blogspot.com/2011/02/using-your-guests-as-wedding.html">http://jitterbugweddings.blogspot.com/2011/02/using-your-guests-as-wedding.html</a>

[QUOTE] <div style="margin:0cm;"><span style="font-family:Centaur, serif;color:#262626;" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:14px;" class="Apple-style-span">Guest attire</span></span></div><div style="margin:0cm;"><span style="font-family:Centaur, serif;color:#262626;" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="font-size:14px;" class="Apple-style-span">Ask your guests to come dressed in fancy garden party attire, like big multicolored  hats, cocktail dresses, suits and bow ties. Let your guests know this well in advance (on your wedding invitation) so they have plenty of time to search for a great outfit. Let them know if this is a Kentucky derby style party (light colors and Sunday dresses) or a evening garden party (more classic cocktail attire)[/QUOTE]

<font color="#000000">Hope it helps!</font></span></span></div>
  • Options

Are you making a website?  It always helps to put up pictures to show what you mean so you're guests can actually see!
    It sounds like a great idea though and a lot of fun!

• Options
    Call it 1910 lemonade social. 

Resource the chattiest people you are inviting and gush to them about linen suits with boaters and cotton sundresses with picture hats.   Ask your bridesmaids to spread the word too.   

Invite your guests to step back in time with you; but recognize that you do not get to dictate their attire and some will not dress in retro fashion.  With these steps, you may avoid most of the Tshirt and jeans attire. 
  • Options
    I would put a suggestion on your webpage, but I would be careful not to dictate what people should wear.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_wedding-guests-attire?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:667Discussion:c5dd5f26-76ce-4426-abaf-b04c3e747358Post:4f1b78bd-11c7-47f2-bec4-ffc41ef14c9a">Re: Wedding Guest's Attire</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call it 1910 lemonade social.  Resource the chattiest people you are inviting and gush to them about linen suits with boaters and cotton sundresses with picture hats.   Ask your bridesmaids to spread the word too.    Invite your guests to step back in time with you;<strong> but recognize that you do not get to dictate their attire and some will not dress in retro fashion. </strong> With these steps, you may avoid most of the Tshirt and jeans attire. 
    Posted by Magdala9[/QUOTE]
    I think it's really important to stress this again.  You CANNOT tell people what to wear at your wedding.  If you want, you can suggest--through word of mouth--what sort of party attire would be "fun" to wear, but you can't dictate it unfortunately.
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards