Pennsylvania-Central

Wedding on a Tight Budget

Hi everyone and congrats on your engagement/wedding plans.  This is going to be my second time around and am doing a pig roast BBQ. After having a fru-fru wedding first time around I want something less dramatic.  

We are looking for a cheap venue where we can bring in our own caterer.  I would like some feedback on caterers, bartenders, venues , DJs that are not more than $500, photographer, florist, etc.  Key word is tight budget....so tight it squeeks. 

We are in Harrisburg and would like to keep it in the Harrisburg area, so no York or Lancaster...sorry girls, but I have family traveling from the north that wont travel more than an hour. 

Would love to hear from everyone. 

Re: Wedding on a Tight Budget

• edited December 2011
    The only thing I have to recommend that's around 500 dollars is my DJ-- Adam McCallister from Birdsnest Productions.  He's 600 dollars for the entire night.  The rest of my vendors are more than that... Sorry!
  • gaiwagnergaiwagner member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks mb for sharing your dj with me.  I am looking for low-budget vendors in all areas.  I only wanted my dj to be under $500 b/c I know they are out there if i can just find them.....lol!  I dont have a set price on other vendors.  I'm just looking around and comparing prices.  Just trying to cut costs and keep the budget low.  Thanks again!
  • ambercurtambercurt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using a brewery restuarant that does catering on the side for our wedding.  They have great food and really work with you to make the menu exactly what you want.  Our catering will will be rather high, because we are planning to have several appetizers, a soup course, and a dinner course.  I would recommend checking with them, because you could probably build a menu for your budget. 

http://victorybeer.com/brewpub/catering/

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ambercurtambercurt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also check out http://www.b-n-b-discjockeys.com/

Just got an email from them today saying that they are knocking off $150 right now and $50 more if it is between November and April.  I'd check them out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • writergirl28writergirl28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Caterers: I've heard good things about Rettew's and Hess' BBQ in the Lancaster area. I looked into Ginger Babies Catering in York, their prices are VERY reasonable, definitely check them out!

Photographers: Solas has amazing prices, but they book up quickly, so check them out asap! I'm considering AYokoPhoto (Amanda Yoko White-  ayokophoto.com) for our pictures because she's just starting out, so her prices are great.

Florists: I'm still working on this, but I've heard that Karen's on Country Road in York will work with any budget. HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't had any experience with this photog, but he is running a special at $505

"If wine is getting in the way of your work, get rid of the work."
    Updated Bio
    E-mail Me!
  • edited December 2011
    for venues you could look at state parks (little buffalo in newport allows alcohol), fort hunter in harrisburg, and i also recommend hunters valley winery. i had a bad experience with them personally, but we were recently there and the venue was gorgeous and i have since heard rave reviews from other brides.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    For flowers we used Wegmans and asked for whatever would be fresh in the boquets.  They did an amazing job and for a third of the price of local florists.
  • stepinger2011stepinger2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fully understand the tight Budget. My husbby-to-be is in college full time, and I work as an in home care aide (I dont make alot especially after paying for my own fuel). We want to go cheap without going tacky. I found many of my things on Ebay cheaper than what you can buy them elsewhere. (Tiara, Questbook, Veil, etc) I made my own Ring Bearer's pillow and my own Flowergirl baskets. 

We're not doing a Caterer or a DJ. We're going to do a cold-cut Buffet (serve yourself style) and a CD player with Multiple Disc changer. Because lets face it. the people who show up should be showing up to share in your union, and if they love you, they arent going to care if the meal cost $5 a plate or $50 a plate, they'll be happy just to be invited. And if they don't Love you then why invite them?

The wedding should be about YOU, not about Pleasing those you invite. My mother has preached that to my brother and I for years.

for Ceremony/Reception site- I have been looking at Fort Hunter Mansion and Park. Very reasonable, and its a very pretty place.
    Steph 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • rm1259rm1259 member
    edited December 2011
    i definitely agree with the above post. i constantly have to remind myself that it's literally impossible to please everyone, and that's not what your wedding's about anyway:) also, a friend of mine had her reception at the Holiday Inn West on Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg. No idea what her budget was, but she did say compared to a lot of the places around they had some great deals.
  • jdalton314jdalton314 member
    edited December 2011
    There is a photographer on craigs list doing a 299 special ,  under lancaster  cant remember the details though.
  • torrtytorrty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

look at the flowers...   owner is gina mekky baltzley....

717-332-8180.  tell her torry sent you :)
    She not only does AMAZING work... but she also works on your budget... .she doesnt name the price... YOU DO ... its a nice chnge of pace :)

good luck and 2nd times a charm.  take care!

torry

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards