Washington-Seattle

Wedding Help Thursday

And GO!
OMH est. May 7, 2011
Photo courtesy of jennygg.com
My never updated Planning/Married Bio: http://mgoss228.weebly.com/
Seattle Knotties: Please page me if you send me a PM!

Re: Wedding Help Thursday

• mgoss228mgoss228 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What would you do if your father (who you haven't spoken to in about 5 months because he's a douche bag) constantly misspelled/forgot your FI's name?

My FI's first name is a fairly common 5-letter long biblical name.  My father ALWAYS (in the almost 7 years FI and I have been together) spells FI's name in the feminine form (adds an extra letter).  And about half the time he does not remember FI's last name (if he was quizzed right now I doubt he'd remember), and FI's last name (my soon-to-be last name) is only THREE letters long and SUPER easy.  I've tried to correct him and remind him for the first 6 years, but this last year-ish, communication between us has been slim to none.

My father is a douche-supreme, and I shouldn't be surprised by his idiotic behavior and straight-up ignorance of my life.  But on his RSVP he wrote on the back a little note (probably trying to get back to my good graces) and misspelled FI's first name AGAIN.  FI's name was on the INVITE, which is where he got the freaking RSVP.

ARG!!!!!  Sorry this is more than a rant, but I'm wondering if there are any sane/rational ways to deal with this.
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    Ugh, I'm sorry girl, that's uber crappy. Honestly, it would have to be one of those things that I just let go. Just take a minute to be super annoyed by it, yell and curse out loud, and then just let it be!

My issue is around room blocks. Trying to decide what to do.... We figure most of our guests will be staying downtown, and our morning after brunch will be at our place in Cap Hill. Olive 8 fits into our "green and sustainable" theme, and the room block prices aren't outrageous (but aren't the cheapest). We can only set aside a block of 10, however. If we guarantee 10 rooms, we can get a killer deal at Hotel Max, but then we're on the hook for the 10 rooms. If no one shared a room, and every out of town guest got a hotel room, we'd need 30 rooms total. I was also going to do a block at a hotel in Redmond, closer to the venue. Thoughts? What'd you girls all do?
  • edited December 2011

My issue is with who to have at the rehearsal dinner.  Part of me says wedding party and helpers only but the other says it's a chance for OOT family members to see each other (particuarly my mom and her new great-grandson whom she's not seen).

But if we do that, we need to include FI family (though he's not close to them) but would take us to about 60 people (and that is only figuring 5 friends who are helping with reception set up - I have a large family!).

We are planning on super-casual and having a pizza party after the rehearsal and then there will be an after-party (after my FI go home and change, then will meet family and any super close friends who didn't have to leave right away for a dinner - "on their own"). 

So I guess I'm trying to figure out do we invite all family everything?  I'm sure some won't want to do the after dinner thing (Rehearsal is on Fox Island, RD in Gig Harbor and after ceremony likely in Tacoma).  And I don't know what my sisters plans are yet (she has a quadraplegic daughter and our parapelgic mom).

Keep thinking I need to make the reservations for the RD - no idea where to go or what to do re the after-ceremony gathering.  My brain is perplexed! Undecided

edited December 2011
    emyinpink:
    I would try to book a hotel closer to the venue (in Redmond), so they have less of a distance to travel after the reception.  If OOT guests want to do the Seattle-Touristy stuff they can book rooms at different hotels in Seattle before/after the wedding. 

Would the 520 Bridge Tolls be any kind of barrier to your OOT guests if they stayed in Seattle?  That could also be a Con for the two Seattle Hotels, imo.  There's always I-90, but I always try to avoid traffic if possible when giving directions/routes to OOT friends/family.  Seattle traffic = CRAAA-ZAY Yell
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
    edited December 2011
    Sharingourlove:
    What I would do is have only those who take part in the Rehearsal in
    Fox Island attend the RD in Gig Harbor.

Then invite everyone you want (60-ish people) to the "after party" in Tacoma.

For your sanity and $$$ don't invite everyone to everything.  It just makes things more complicated, imo.  Use your RD to thank your friends and family who are helping you set up/take down/plan/coordinate/be in your WP/etc. 
    OMH est. May 7, 2011
  • Frogger5Frogger5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    emyinpink: Maybe you could do blocks at both a hotel in downtown Seattle and in Redmond near the reception. I can see certain kinds of guests preferring one over the other - maybe 10 or 15 at each? We're doing a block at The Maxwell Hotel. We did the most rooms Friday night, and a few less Thursday and Saturday nights (we're having a Friday wedding). The discount rate is good for three days before and after the event. We're not on the hook for anything except if we cancel the wedding within 30 days (which we're going to try not to do regardless of the hotel contract!).
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_wedding-thursday-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:104Discussion:d15f4ac6-abde-4e80-804f-6bddb97d2637Post:3fc83238-239c-4cf6-a6aa-c00c51fe5d9f">Re: Wedding Help Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]emyinpink: Maybe you could do blocks at both a hotel in downtown Seattle and in Redmond near the reception. I can see certain kinds of guests preferring one over the other - maybe 10 or 15 at each? We're doing a block at The Maxwell Hotel. We did the most rooms Friday night, and a few less Thursday and Saturday nights (we're having a Friday wedding). The discount rate is good for three days before and after the event. We're not on the hook for anything except if we cancel the wedding within 30 days (which we're going to try not to do regardless of the hotel contract!).
    Posted by Frogger5[/QUOTE]

<div>ya, we were planning on doing blocks at both redmond and seattle (and I'm putting willows lodge on our website as well since it's like across the street). it just seems like most of our guests were leaning towards downtown, and I wasn't sure if 10 rooms would be enough, but I was also worried about guaranteeing at least 10 rooms...</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_washington-seattle_wedding-thursday-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:104Discussion:d15f4ac6-abde-4e80-804f-6bddb97d2637Post:df2f1eb9-aa7e-4d91-bed0-791219661a44">Re: Wedding Help Thursday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My issue is with who to have at the rehearsal dinner.  Part of me says wedding party and helpers only but the other says it's a chance for OOT family members to see each other (particuarly my mom and her new great-grandson whom she's not seen). But if we do that, we need to include FI family (though he's not close to them) but would take us to about 60 people (and that is only figuring 5 friends who are helping with reception set up - I have a large family!). We are planning on super-casual and having a pizza party after the rehearsal and then there will be an after-party (after my FI go home and change, then will meet family and any super  close friends who didn't have to leave right away for a dinner - "on their own").  So I guess I'm trying to figure out do we invite all family everything?  I'm sure some won't want to do the after dinner thing (Rehearsal is on Fox Island, RD in Gig Harbor and after ceremony likely in Tacoma).  And I don't know what my sisters plans are yet (she has a quadraplegic daughter and our parapelgic mom). Keep thinking I need to make the reservations for the RD - no idea where to go or what to do re the after-ceremony gathering.  My brain is perplexed!
    Posted by Sharingourlove[/QUOTE]

Hi! I haven't posted in a while but my advice is invite the OOT people. I did and it's worth it. They buy plane tickets/gas/whatev's to come to the wedding ahead of time and if they are family, I think it's special to spend time with them. If you are on the outs with some of them, then that is a different story. When it came to my RD my FIL tried to minimize it and I put my foot down. All my dads family was flying out and I told FIL straight up that they were going to be involved, not sitting in some hotel room eating room service. You don't have to invite all your other in state family just because your OOT family is there though. I didn't. I kept it to parents, wedding party, helpers, and OOT. Hope that helps! But it is my opinion and ultimately your choice. Good luck!
    Married 7/17/2010 Photobucket PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards