South Carolina-Charleston

Catering Advice

So the venue and date have been set.  September 7th at Old Wide Awake Plantation.  Next steps are the photographer and caterer.  So since I have never been to a wedding in Charleston and never had any food from a caterer there.  I need some help!!!  I would like a resonable caterer for our guests which should be around 110.  We would like to do southern food since the majority of our guests are coming from PA.  Are there any recomendations out there for caterers that can keep me in the ball park of $30 a head and be good, have enough staff to clear tables, and not leave the place a mess so i don't get my deposit back.  Any advice woudl be SO much appreciated!!! 

Thank you and Happy Holidays!!

Re: Catering Advice

• We used Music Mans BBQ and they were fantastic!!! They were very reasonably priced and well within our budget. All of our guests raved about the food. H and I went to a wedding where the couple used Duvall catering. They were good, but I'm not sure how much they paid for everything.
  • ScMOBScMOB member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_catering-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:ff1966ae-7be8-47fe-9815-f4bda2bc9ca0Post:ebf20b54-2019-43b8-9012-ace7ee824be3">Catering Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]So the venue and date have been set.  September 7th at Old Wide Awake Plantation.  Next steps are the photographer and caterer.  So since I have never been to a wedding in Charleston and never had any food from a caterer there.  I need some help!!!  I would like a resonable caterer for our guests which should be around 110.  We would like to do southern food since the majority of our guests are coming from PA.  Are there any recomendations out there for caterers that can keep me in the ball park of $30 a head and be good, have enough staff to clear tables, and not leave the place a mess so i don't get my deposit back.  Any advice woudl be SO much appreciated!!!  Thank you and Happy Holidays!!
    Posted by kdcastle[/QUOTE]

We used Royal Grand Catering for my oldest daughter's wedding reception at Alhambra Hall.  The food was AMAZING and very reasonable.  Curtis the owner/Chef is fabulous to work with....emails you back immediately and is very eager to cater to your every want and need!!  I don't think you would be disappointed if you gave him a call!!   Good luck and congratuations!!
    PS:   And I sound like a broken record on here with this....but as far as photographers go....Jenna Marie Photography!!   AWESOME!!!!!!
    <a href="http://www.jenna-marie-photography.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.jenna-marie-photography.com/</a>
  • I'm so excited to have found this post tonight! I am also getting married at OWA on October 5th and have really had a difficult time getting in contact with other brides having their big day there! My fiancé and I have our first tasting with our first potential catering company tomorrow actually. Their called the crazy Dutchman. I found them on this site but have also read great reviews on weddingwire.com as well. We are doings buffet style reception which is putting our price per head at about $18.00 I'm sure that price will go up or down based on the type of reception you're looking into having. I will let you know what our thoughts are about the crazy Dutchman after our tasting tomorrow! As far as photographers are concerned, we went with Wanda with Richard bell studios. They have three photographers and based on your price range and photographic style choice you choose from the three. I'm OBSESSED with our engagement pictures (of course I'm biased lol). Their website is charleston wedding.com good luck!!!
  • Let me know how the crazy dutchman is!  I have heard things about him as well but when i talked with OWA they said that he doesnt always bring enough staff so your tables dont get bussed, etc.  Just something to maybe think about when sitting down with him.  I am SO excited for September 7th!!!
  • The tasting on Thursday was great! The food was delcious and Hans and his assistant Sam were amazing at answering all of our questions. She took notes throughout the tasting and they we incredibly knowledgable about the lay out of OWA to help us choose a place to set up the food. I asked them about the issue of making sure that the tables would be bussed throughout the event so that bottles and food didn't collect on tables and to solve that issue, they provide four staff members to take care of that. We couldn't be happier with our decision! Prior to booking with The Crazy Dutchman, I'd also spoken with Duvall catering and events, and Hamby catering. The people there were also really helpful and nice but just weren't what we were looking for, there are so many great food options in charleston, I'm sure you won't be steered wrong!
  • We used Duvall Catering.  We had a Low Country table- Ham and Sweet Potato Biscuits, Crab Cakes, fried green tomatoes, and Macaroni and Cheese.  We also had a Shrimp and Grits Station.  The food was fantastic and they were really easy to work with and will work to stay within your budget.  Alicia was my catering coordinator, I loved her!
  • We used Cru Catering and the food and service was amazing.  Considering that they were so highly rated in the area I was worried about pricing but they were very reasonable and no hidden charges popped up later.  Most of our guests were from PA as well so we did food stations to incorporate low country food as well as those with a more meat and potatoes palate! :)
  • Thank you all for your advice!  I will contact those places.  I had contacted the crazy dutchman and even talked to him on the phone and he never got back with me.  I'll have to give him another call. 
  • oh no! When I booked with The Crazy Dutchman, one of the things that I was impressed with was how quickly he responded to me. I want everyone to have as good of an experience as I am having. I filled out a catering request form on their website to contact them initially. Maybe try that? Good luck with your search!
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_catering-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:ff1966ae-7be8-47fe-9815-f4bda2bc9ca0Post:3bd01636-c545-4e35-8de2-c8a4e1c00076">Re: Catering Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for your advice!  I will contact those places.  I had contacted the crazy dutchman and even talked to him on the phone and he never got back with me.  I'll have to give him another call. 
  • He got back with me last week!  We have a tasting with him setup on the 21st as well as Cafe Catering and Tidewater Catering.  I am hoping that one of these works out because I am sick of contacting caterers!!!!  I'm kinda in disbelief about the cost of some of these caterers!!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_catering-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:ff1966ae-7be8-47fe-9815-f4bda2bc9ca0Post:06a10b9e-3e74-4310-afde-a229884f1391">Re: Catering Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]oh no! When I booked with The Crazy Dutchman, one of the things that I was impressed with was how quickly he responded to me. I want everyone to have as good of an experience as I am having. I filled out a catering request form on their website to contact them initially. Maybe try that? Good luck with your search! In Response to Re: Catering Advice :
    Posted by caseynm13[/QUOTE]
  • I ran into that issue as well! The average quote i was given after getting quotes from about 8 different caterers was between $27 and $32 per person! I was in no way prepared to spend that amount. In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_catering-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:ff1966ae-7be8-47fe-9815-f4bda2bc9ca0Post:28adf913-d84a-4daa-842e-210eb5031a30">Re: Catering Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]He got back with me last week!  We have a tasting with him setup on the 21st as well as Cafe Catering and Tidewater Catering.  I am hoping that one of these works out because I am sick of contacting caterers!!!!  I'm kinda in disbelief about the cost of some of these caterers!! n Response to Re: Catering Advice :
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards