Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Dress distress

Having a tough time finding "the dress". I've been dress shopping 4 times already in 3 different states and haven't had any luck. Feeling very discouraged! How long did it take everyone to find their dress??

Re: Dress distress

• I found mine at the 4th shop I went to. My parents live in a different state and I wanted my mom with me when I was shopping, so I was pretty motivated to find something when I was out visiting my family. I found a dress I liked at the first shop I went to, so that helped narrow down style more. I went out a couple months later and found the dress at the third shop that day. I wasn't overly stressed out about the dress, I focused more on having fun trying all the different dresses on and spending time with my mom. Good luck. It can be overwhelming. And keep in mind that the styles change pretty regularly.
  • flower_loverflower_lover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012

How's it going with finding your dress?

I do have a suggestion. Try some dresses that are a departure from what you have been trying already. If you've been looking at strapless, try a halter dress or something with sleeves. If you've been looking at straight down skirts, try something A-line. If you've been looking only at white, try something in cream or pink. Or tell the salesperson to "surprise me" with a few picks. My dress (which I continue to love today, 4 years after the wedding) was one that the salesperson accidentally pulled off the rack. She thought I had asked to try it when I actually didn't. Since it was in the room, I tried it, and it was "the one". I tried on many more after it at different shops and on different days, but I kept coming back to that one.

Another idea is to find a web site that suggests the best wedding dress cuts for your size and shape. I woulnd not have imagined that I would look good in an A-line cut, but I learned that this is a good style for many body shapes, including mine!

I also learned that many dresses that I loved based on photos in Wedding magazines or dress sites online looked completely different on me than they did on the model. It seemed best to just try on lots of styles and narrow down the ones that looked best on me. Hope that helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards