Favors

Favor Advice

So, my fiancé and I are it animal people. I donate a old cunk of my money annually to various animal causes. For our wedding...I really want to do a charity favor ut the fiancé tinks that is tacky. Whose right? I know there are various views on this but how do YOU view charity favors when you see them - especially if/when you KNOW the donation is something the couple really cares about?

Note: we're also haing a candy bar and the wedding is SMALL mostly family as is.
Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Re: Favor Advice

• In my personal opinion, donations are favors aren't a good idea.  I wouldn't say tacky, but misguided in the intention.  The favor is for your guests (as is the reception) and it's really difficult to choose a charity and arrange donations so that your guests receive the benefit, particularly the tax write off. 

Additionally, it's really hard to pick a charity everyone supports.  For example, DH and I personally support our local public radio, the local SPCA, and are periodic donors to March of Dimes and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation because of our families.  If we were to choose one of those organizations over the others, I know people in our family would be disappointed that we didn't pick the one closer to them.  And the recent controversy over the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation and its decisions about grant allocations demonstrates that even some of the most popular charitable organizations can become unpopular and political quickly.  I know that there are several organizations that my family and friends support that I do not want to be associated with even through suggestion.

I'd much rather that a couple skip the favor all together and donate that money privately.  If you are doing a candy bar, I'd say that you have the "favor" aspect covered and that if you have money allocated for something additional, you can make the donation privately.
    Anniversary

• PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I assume you've ready the sticky at the top of this board.

I don't like charity donation favors.  It's like saying "I took the money I was going to spend on your favor, and gave it to someone else.  Aren't I a good person?"  Seems very AW-ish to me.

If you want to make the donation instead of buying favors, go right ahead.  You don't need favors for your wedding.  But please don't tell me that your tax deductible gift to the charity of your choice is a favor to me, because clearly it isn't.
  • Keep the candy bar and use that as your favor.  Donate to a charity without publicizing it at the wedding. 
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:03db1cd0-22a1-4ffb-ba74-833f9f595f43Post:b1084fd0-6a47-45d9-9a13-720f0d9e3103">Favor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, my fiancé and I are it animal people. I donate a old cunk of my money annually to various animal causes. For our wedding...I really want to do a charity favor ut the fiancé tinks that is tacky. Whose right? I know there are various views on this but how do YOU view charity favors when you see them - especially if/when you KNOW the donation is something the couple really cares about? Note: we're also haing a candy bar and the wedding is SMALL mostly family as is.
    Posted by tkddddddddd[/QUOTE]

Donating to charity should be done privately for many reasons. 

1. While it's a good cause, I know some people that are appauled people spend so much donating to animal causes when there are starving and sick children in this world that need taken care of.
    2. Tooting your own horn comes off tacky.
  • You could have the guests donate money to your charity instead of getting you wedding presents. And then the favor is still there showing your appreciation for the guests.

Kristen & Brandon
  • I agree with Courtney about tooting your own horn. You could raffle off your cenerpieces and that money could go to charity or do a dollar dance and use that money. But your guest bought you gifts, they probably bought clothes to wear to your day, and some if not most probably spent a good chunk of money on gas or hotel. They deserve to feel welcomed. You want them to leave your reception feeling like that was a great party and wanted. Not feeling like you invited them to a charity event where they left with an empty feeling. I would agree with your fiance on this one.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:03db1cd0-22a1-4ffb-ba74-833f9f595f43Post:08c179ee-def4-429c-a5cd-691da94cc3ff">Re: Favor Advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In my personal opinion, donations are favors aren't a good idea.  I wouldn't say tacky, but misguided in the intention.  The favor is for your guests (as is the reception) and it's really difficult to choose a charity and arrange donations so that your guests receive the benefit, particularly the tax write off.  Additionally, it's really hard to pick a charity everyone supports.  For example, DH and I personally support our local public radio, the local SPCA, and are periodic donors to March of Dimes and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation because of our families.  If we were to choose one of those organizations over the others, I know people in our family would be disappointed that we didn't pick the one closer to them.  And the recent controversy over the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation and its decisions about grant allocations demonstrates that even some of the most popular charitable organizations can become unpopular and political quickly.  I know that there are several organizations that my family and friends support that I do not want to be associated with even through suggestion. I'd much rather that a couple skip the favor all together and donate that money privately.  If you are doing a candy bar, I'd say that you have the "favor" aspect covered and that if you have money allocated for something additional, you can make the donation privately.
    Posted by JaclyneD[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I agree with your finacee on this one. i read a post earlier today didnt like it done mt research and chose to stay with my mini bucket candles ive made. </div><div>I wouldnt do it.. my own mom mentioned it and we decided against it. 

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards