North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

I am already panicking about minute details

And here's another one: yes or no on makeup trials?

This is the thing--I'm allergic to most makeup. The makeup I do wear has been carefully vetted by me over the years. I don't wear a lot of makeup, and I don't wear it every day (ah, the joys of working from home). There's a lot of stuff I don't usually wear (eyeshadow, for instance), so I wouldn't even know what would work safely for me.

I love the idea of having a professional do my makeup on my wedding day, but I'm also scared to death that I'll have some sort of reaction. Same goes for trials...I don't want to spend time treating an allergic reaction if I can avoid it.

Am I the only one with hyper-sensitive skin? (Besides my MOH, that is...I don't think I'd ask her to go through a trial either, for the same reason.) How do you safely get the professional look without having to worry about breakouts or itching? Is it even possible?

All that being said, does anyone know of a decent makeup artist that deals with and understands allergies/sensitivities to makeup? And how much would something like this cost?

I may wind up being my own makeup artist, but I also really wanted a treat...but not at the expense of my skin or eyes getting all itchy or red or sore or hivey....

Re: I am already panicking about minute details

• Options
    I've heard from other girls that some do quick makeup trials at the expo. I'm not doing a makeup trial, I'm not sure if some salons do that or not? I'm getting hair and makeup done at the Sanderling, since their prices were competitive to others and would be easiest. It costs $65 there. One option would be to go to like a Sephora, or something along those lines and have them show you how to do certain things and then you could do it yourself. I totally agree with you though, its our one day to spend a lot of money on making us look pretty!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I did a hair & make-up trial and was glad that I did!  Most salons down there will do one for you and you can even bring your own make-up to use as well.  I would just explain that you have some allergies to certain make-ups, and that you prefer using your own.  You may actually be able to get some recs from the artist themselves as to what to use on your eyes as I am sure that they have dealt with make-up allergies in the past. 

If you do decide to have a make-up trial, which I definitely recommend given your circumstances, make sure you do it at least 4-6 weeks before the wedding in case your skin has an adverse reaction. 

• Options
    Hello!  Most places do trials.  I did not do one and was fine, but with your skin I'd probably do one.  I used Bombshell's (they travel to your location) and two other good ones that I've heard are Hairoics and It's Royalty.  Give them a call and see what their recommendations are - I"m sure you're not the first bride who's had allergy issues!

http://www.outerbanksweddingassoc.org/membersearch/results.html?catID=7
    image June 22, 2012
  • Options
    I have very similar problems to you and I've done some trials and they have all broke me out & given me headaches.  I normally use Bare Minerals and so now I am considering just using my own make up and hopefully my stylist will work with is.  I tried air brushing yesterday, which was super cool.  But something she put on my face broke me out today...I think it was the oily skin stuff...Which I don't have oily skin.  I guess she just decided I did because of my current break outs. 

I feel where you're coming from but I would say find somenoe to use your stuff and maybe buy new colors for your day.  It's really not worth the trial & error with your skin.  I have 20 days left and I am hoping that my face clears up a super lot between here and now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards