July 2012 Weddings
Options

Adult Receptions

This topic sparked a rather "hot" debate between my FH and I. Since we are paying for a major portion of the wedding ourselves, he really wants to cut the proposed guest list.  He brought up the topic of having an adult reception. Anyone have any good advice on where the "age" line should be drawn?  How do you deal with close family friends traveling from out of town with children?  Someone, please help me with some guidence.

Re: Adult Receptions

• Options
    edited October 2010
    We're having a mostly adult reception.  We're only inviting our closest, immediate family members children and that is it.  FI is the oldest and his youngest cousin is 4months old.  He's very close with his family. 

As for OOT guests we don't have any with children.  But if we did, we would offer to pay for a trusted sitter at the hotel room.

As for the age limit, I think 16 to 18 is fine.  Most kids do not like to attend weddings, plus it is a good time for parents to get out and have a night out with out the kids.  I'm sure you'll hear it from other family members, but it is your choice.  However, you cannot pick and choose which family members you can invite and cannot.  So, I think a safe way is to have no children or just immediate family.  and you do not have to give reasons as to why you chose this either.

Also, some people may say you either have kids or don't.  I think it is okay to make exceptions for those you are closer to than others.

I think my thoughts are a little scattered but I hope you get it!

• Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Yes my thoughts are also so scattered on the topic.  Hopefully as time ticks down, we can come to a better understanding and agreement!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards