Outdoor Weddings

Guests standing at ceremony?

We are having our ceremony at a venue where it can be indoor or outdoor. I've always wanted an outdoor wedding. But, the outdoor only holds 70 people (we are inviting about 200) not everyone comes to the ceremony,  and who knows what the weather will be like. So, We have the indoor site reserved, but if no one has booked the outdoor spot the day-of, we will have access to it. If the weather is beautiful, i would much rather get married outside..... but if too many show for the ceremony, some will have to stand. What should I do?

Re: Guests standing at ceremony?

• This is not a good plan.  At all. You should have plans for everyone who is expected to show for the ceremony.  It's not okay to have seats available for some guests and not have seating available to others.
  • i have had to stand at a wedding. if it is outside and fairly short i am sure most family will not mid standing, they will just be happy to see you happy. it is nice to have chairs for those who need to sit, the elderly, the pregnant, and such. if they understand it is outside and standing is a possiblility that is fine. it is your day and you should do what ever makes you happy.
    i am having mine outside as well, if i can find chairs i will provide them, but if not that means they will have to stand and i plan on the cerimony only being about 1/2 hr or less.

best of luck

Ashley Northern Maine 07-17-2011
  • edited March 2010
    All guests should have chairs to sit. A friend of mine, mwhitson, who is also a fellow knottie, had a 6:00pm start time for her wedding, and guests began arriving around 5:15pm. Chances are that there is a good chance that could happen at your wedding, which will make your guests very unhappy if they get there and realize that they have to stand for nearly an hour. Even if they have to stand for only a short period of time, it is still frowned upon and is quite rude.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_guests-standing-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:5a9f5b08-65c4-4863-9cd5-e06458ee0046Post:0bc68156-71cb-4de5-8d2c-b77dc38b39fc">Re: Guests standing at ceremony?</a>:
    [QUOTE]All guests should have chairs to sit. A friend of mine, mwhitson, who is also a fellow knottie, had a 6:00pm start time for her wedding, and guests began arriving around 5:15pm. Chances are that there is a good chance that could happen at your wedding, which will make your guests very unhappy if they get there and realize that they have to stand for nearly an hour. Even if they have to stand for only a short period of time, it is still frowned upon and is quite rude.
    Posted by FutureMrsDudley55[/QUOTE]

100% Agree.

As a guest, If I had to stand it would not make me happy at all and I would think the bride / groom that forced me to stand was very rude.

You also have to take into consideration that some people have medical conditions that would make it impossible for them to stand for any period of time.

And lastly, do you really want a bunch of people fidgeting in the backround while you're getting married?
  • I think it depends.  Our wedding's at the top of the mountain, so everybody goes up/arrives at the same time, ceremony is less than 1/2 hour, and then  everybody goes down.  as long as you have plenty of chairs for the elderly, handicapped, small children and it's short i don't see the problem.
  • edited March 2010
    Have a chair for all guests. I have a circulation problem that if I stand on my feet for too long, my legs and feet swell and I get really uncomfortable. I can walk for hours, but once I stand still and let the blood flow down into my feet, it's not a good scene.

Having a chair just for seniors / pregnant people is also not a good idea. I would need a chair if your ceremony was longer than 5 minutes, and I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy myself, because I would feel guilty about stealing a chair, as it's more likely than not that someone else would need one as much or more than I would.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been to a lot of ceremonies where most of the guests had to stand - the common thread which made it just fine with us all: the ceremonies were short and there were seats up front for older guests. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards