Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Officiary reading vows?

Ok, as with I'm sure many people here, my fiance and I are terribly worried we'll start crying in the middle of our vows-we're writing our own-and then nobody will be able to understand them, and we'll be all nervous and choked up.  

Sooo, apparently people actually do this, but during our meeting with our officiary she said she could read the vows for us instead.  What is everyone's opinion on this? 

Re: Officiary reading vows?

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like that idea at all. I feel that your vows as husband & wife should come from your mouths, no one elses. If you get choked up, take a minute to breathe and compose yourself, then continue. If I went to a wedding and this happened, I'd be like WTF just happened? I wouldn't take the ceremony as seriously if this happened.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree (i'd take it seriously) I'm more of a traditionalist though. I just feel they are more then words. They need to come out of the bride and groom.
    I love it when couples cry. It gets to the raw emotion of the moment. You cant re create that kind of feeling.
  • edited December 2011

I am sure I am going to get a little teared up, but we are going to recite our custom vows to each other.  At first I was totally freaked out by writing my own, but it was much easier than I thought it would be and I am so happy to get to say them to him.

September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    We are reading our personal vows and having our officiant read the traditional vows. I feel that for the personal vows, it is much more meaningful to read them yourself. No one will judge if you get choked up. I think it's kind of expected. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards