Honeymoon Discussions

Gatlinburg, TN

Hello
We are thinking of going to Gatlinburg, TN for our honeymoon in Sept.
Has anyone ever been?
Suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to eat?

Thanks
:)

Re: Gatlinburg, TN

• I live in Knoxville, about 45 minutes away from Gatlinburg.  If you want to be in the action, there are plenty of hotels on the Parkway through town, but if you want some privacy, maybe a jaccuzzi, then I would definitely rent a cabin.  If you are coming in the fall, make sure to check out the Craftsman's Fair and take a drive through the park.  Dollywood is closeby, and weekdays are less crowded.  You have to eat pancakes at the Pancake Pantry in the Village and visit the Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen.  

Hope this helps!
  • I love Gatlinburg!  I've been a few times and just like the previous post mentioned, I definitely recommend getting a cabin!  Especially since it's your honeymoon.  I've stayed in some really nice ones for reasonable prices (I'm so sorry I can't remember the names of any companies right now!  But you can do some internet searches and find tons of options).  Since you will be there in September, an outdoor jacuzzi would be a nice extra.  A lot of cabins have them and they are usually located on a back porch or deck that's secluded and for your use only.  

I really liked the Ripley's Believe It Or Not Aquarium.  I think it costs $20-$30 but I thought it was worth the fee.  They had a lot of neat things to look at, including a walk-through tunnel where you can see sharks up close as they swim above you.  I also enjoyed the sky-lift because it takes you up higher and gives you a much better view of the mountains.  I'd definitely recommend doing this on a clear day if you can.  I also suggest just walking around town and browsing some of the shops.  There are lots of boutique places.  I can't really recommend any restaurants because every time I've been to Gatlinburg I was a poor college kid ;-) so my friends and I bought groceries and took turns cooking for ourselves in the cabin...but that was just as fun in my opinion!  We did go out to eat a few times, but the only place I really remember was the Hard Rock Cafe and the food was not that great in my opinion.  Anyway, good luck and I hope this helps a little!             
  • I have stayed at Country Pines cabins. www.countrypines.com. The prices are reasonable depending on the season/cabin size, and there are hot tubs at every one (I think). It is closer to Pigeon Forge I believe, but about a 15-20 min drive to the Gatlinburg and about 10 minutes to other things like Go-Karts. I highly suggest finding a place to go white water rafting. There are usually coupons so you can go for under 40/person (sometimes 20/person). The place we went had up to level 4 rapids... still not sure what that means, but thats what the guide in our raft told us. It was a lot of fun. And the Apple Barn (the apple fritters there are incredible) is a cute little homey country kitchen type of place with excellent food options and huge meals.
  • thanks!!!

this is really helpful.
  • I've stayed here and they are amazing.

http://www.thepreserveresort.com/

• I agree about the apple barn :)

It is AMAZING. It is fun to walk around on-site too. They have several little stores :)

oh and don't forget to pick up some home-made taffy!
  • Love Gatlinburg! Don't forget all the minigolf places, HillBilly golf if it's still there basically has you mini golfing down the side of a hill. And get a picture taken in one of those old time photo shops. They have some cute just married ideas. 
  • When we went there we stayed in a Timber Tops cabin http://www.yourcabin.com/
    Definitely recommend them. Really great cabins and the people were really nice.
    Don't forget to spend some time in the Smoky Mountains National Park while you are down there. It is beautiful.
    You'll have a great time. There's lots to do there. We were only there for a few days and I wish we could have stayed more Smile
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards