Kentucky-Louisville

I need suggestions!!

Well, planning was fun at first but now it is stressful.
I am wanting to book the Event room 1 at Mellwood, but it is expensive.  I was going to have my wedding and reception there but my parents want me to keep looking.
Southeast offers their chapel and reception area for only $600 but I am hooked on Mellwood!!
The smaller event room at Mellwood is of course, cheaper but maybe too small? Has anyone been to the smaller event room at Mellwood?

Thanks!

Re: I need suggestions!!

• edited December 2011
    How many people are you inviting to your wedding?  I booked the smaller event room at Mellwood for my wedding.  We will have about 130 people.  They assured me that this number of people will fit in there.  The bigger room in definitely nicer, but for over twice the cost, it just wasn't worth it for us.
  • annamhisleannamhisle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having your wedding & reception there?
    Im wanting to get married at the same place i have the reception...do you think thats possible in that room?
    I'm expecting maybe 100-110 poeple
  • edited December 2011
    I am having both the ceremony and reception right there in the same room.  We will create an "aisle" in the very  middle of the room.  This will later be turned into the dance floor.  We are just going to have our guests sit at the tables/turn their seats around for the ceremony.  I know this really isn't the best situation, but we are planning on having a very short and sweet ceremony, so hopefully it works out.  I've talked to people that have done this before (though admittedly not at Mellwood) and they all said that this situation works fine.  I would really think that you would be fine in Event Rm. 2 for the number of guests you plan on having. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is exactly what I am going to do as well. My boyfriend and I have always wanted our wedding to be that way, with the guests sitting at the tables.  I have decided that the $2300 room just isn't worth the money & the smaller space can work if you just plan well.
    I have a question though, I'm deciding on how to get ready? Since this smaller space does not have a dressing room, I thought I could have my hair and makeup done while setting up the space & then go home to get dressed and drive back.  I wonder if you could just stay in the bathroom? Hmm.. I'm curious to see what you think!
    Also, are you going to enter through one of the back "exit" doors?
    I'm going tomorrow to look again and to more than likely book! 
    I'm so happy you're doing the same thing, it makes me feel more confident!!

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, the lady at Mellwood made it sound like it would not work at all...but I'm pretty sure it's going to be just wonderful!!! 
  • brides-motherbrides-mother member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've attended weddings in the smaller room that did exactly what you're describing.  It was lovely.
  • edited December 2011
    The one thing I'm not impressed with when it comes to Mellwood is Scooter, the booking lady.  She hasn't been rude or difficult or anything, she just doesn't always make sense.  We tried to ask her about renting the back grassy area just outside of ER2 for the ceremony, but she said that it was only available for ER1 guests to rent because "There is not a single window that you can look out of in ER1 that does not look upon that grassy area.  Brides from ER1 don't want to be looking at someone else's wedding."  Funny thing is, I'm pretty sure she had that completely backwards.  Either way, whatever.

As for getting ready and stuff:  I'm going to get ready at our hotel, then drive over right when the ceremony begins.  I'm going to have them drive us (the bridal party) to the back circular "delivery" drive and come in that side door in the back.  I'd worry about guests (from our party or from ER1's party) coming into the bathroom while I was getting ready, and I don't want to deal with that.

I'm still skeptical at times that this will all work.  I hope it does!  Good luck to you! 

Edit: Spelling
  • edited December 2011
    Scooter does not go out of her way to make any brides feel special.
  • edited December 2011

We are having ours in event room 2 as well, but I was afraid with the pillars in the room that it would obstruct people's view of the ceremony if it was set up that way. Does anyone else think that would be a problem?

• edited December 2011
    We fell in love with the 3rd room.  I think it's the 3rd one anyway  It's the one by it's self and with the courtyard.  But after you figure in all of the prices with having to do everything yourself, well we just couldn't afford it.  I liked the middle sized room also.  We went to a wedding a few years ago that was in the small room and it had the access to the outside. 

We looked at Mellwood in June or the beginning of July and all 3 of our dates for Sept/Oct 2012 were already taken. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Mellwood next March.  We opted for Event Room1 since we're having the ceremony and reception there and we're expecting around 160-175 people, but I think it'll probably still be quite large for us.  I think you all will be fine in Event Room 2. I'm pretty sure that the grassy area outside of Event Room 2 came with the standard fee for Event Room 2, back when we were looking several months ago, but they must have changed it since I don't see it on their site any more.  How are you all planning to decorate the room?  I'm wrapping lights around the pillars in ER1 and then placing a sheet over them to mute them a little. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked at Mellwood! I am so excited. I have 15 months to plan my wedding but it feels awesome knowing that the venue is booked. I chose the smaller event room. I posted this post about a week ago because i was unsure about the size but now that it is all said & done, I am thrilled! :-)
    I am expecting around 100 people and I am going to have the guests sit at their tables while the ceremony happens. It is going to be a short and sweet ceremony and then we will eat desserts, drink coffee, listen to christmas music...it is going to be so lovely! (i'm having a winter wedding)
    Amanda, thanks so much for talking to me about this! I decided to get a close hotel room as well. My mom brought that idea up & it made sense. The little drop off area in the back is perfect to just be able to get out there & walk.
    I think it will all turn out wonderful if you have it planned good.

And for decor, I am going to wrap lights around the columns with tool & then I am going to get paper lanterns to hang from the ceiling. 

Good luck everyone!

I like being able to do my own thing at Mellwood! 
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like your date Angela! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding in E2 at Mellwood and we are going to have our ceremony in from windows that look out at the courtyard. Our aisle will be at an slant, which I like since it will make it a  little different. We will have the table on the other side of the room close to where the kitchen is and when people move from the ceremony to the reception the just take chairs with them and that will be become the dance floor.

I just loved the place when I went to look at it in June and booked it right then, I was luck that my room was open on the Saturday I wanted it was the only room open for that day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats, Jess - that's a lovely venue and your set-up sounds great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards