Moms and Maids

Bridesmaid Issue - Fiance's Sisters

Ok here is my issue. My fiance has three sisters, ages 26, 23, and 13. The oldest is his full sister, the two others are half sisters. I see two of them every few months or so when we travel to see his family. I feel that if I ask one of them to be a bridesmaids I need to ask all three, or at least the two older ones. He is planning on asking my brother (my only brother), who he sees much more often because we live near my family.

But, my fiance doesn't want a big bridal party nor do I. If I ask his sisters, plus my two cousins (whom I'm close with), my sister-in-law and my MOH, that would be 6 or 7 depending on the youngest sister. I ran everything by him, and he said he was ok with not having his sisters in the bridal party. I thought I would incorporate them in the ceremony though for sure.

Well yesterday he gets a call from his mom to let him know his oldest sister is really hurt that she wasn't in the wedding. So now I'm dealing with an upset sister and his mother. I understand their frustration, but I don't know what to do! I've repeatedly told my fiance we can make the party bigger if he wants. But he said he doesn't want to, and to just not worry about it. But how do you go into this knowing you've already alienated and hurt at least two people that are really important!!!! I want everyone to be happy, and enjoy the day!

Re: Bridesmaid Issue - Fiance's Sisters

• You should have your nearest and dearest standing next to you on your wedding day.  You said you only see the sisters every few months.  Do you talk to them on the phone in between visits?  It doesn't seem that you are close with the sisters, so I wouldn't worry about asking them to be BMs. 

It is sad that the sister is upset about not being asked.  But they should never have said anything to you or FI about it.  Perhaps ask the sisters to participate in the ceremony somehow.  Not with a bum job like handing out programs, but maybe all 3 sisters could read a poem together, each reading a different portion.
  • OliveOil has a good idea, and make sure FI chats with his mom about this a bit as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also just wanted to chime in to point out that FI's sisters can always be on his side - there's nothing wrong with him having them as "groomswomen" if it was important for him that they be included.  It seems like they don't qualify as "nearest and dearest" for either of you, so it wasn't wrong not to choose them.  You could always include them as readers at the ceremony, or maybe they'd like to give a toast during the reception?  Those are both meaningful ways to include them without adding to the bridal party.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Make them feel special by including them in other parts of the ceremony. Give each of them a verse, quote, or some other special reading. If one of them is musically inclined, have her sing or play an instrument. I also like the idea of having them on your FI's side. My FI's best man is a woman, so there is nothing wrong with females backing up the grooms. 

Bottom line, you should only pick those closest to you as your BMs, they will be the ones there when the sh*t hits the fan. The last thing you need in your BP is people who won't support or understand you when something goes wrong (and it will, trust me).
  • you ask whoever YOU want to ask to be your bridesmaids. the wedding is not about your FIs sisters. just do what makes you happy. they will deal. i had this same issue and after FIs sister realized she wasn't in the wedding she was rude and whiny. so glad i didn't ask her now.
  • thanks so much everyone - great advice!  I have to remember through this entire time... there's going to be no pleasing everyone. These posts make me feel better about the decision to keep it small and just have those closest be the BMs! 
  • I know some people mentioned having his sisters on his side - why don't you have your brother stand on your side as well?

I can kind of see why the sister would be hurt - your sibling is a part of the WP and his aren't.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards