Ohio-Toledo

Florists - anyone had experience with any of these?

I'm looking at a couple of florists this weekend when I'm in town. I know it's pretty early to do that but we don't get into town that often so I want to at least go and get ideas and maybe an idea of cost. 
Has anybody worked with or had experience with Glendale Flowers & Gifts, Hafner or Keith Brooks? 

{Our reception is at the Glass Pavilion and they have an "approved florist" list that we have to select from. I've heard a lot of great things on this board about other florists in the city but most of them aren't on that list :(

Thanks! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Florists - anyone had experience with any of these?

• edited December 2011
    I believe Glendale does creative and beautiful work, but is on the pricey side.  I've heard of Hafner but don't think I've ever used them for anything.  I've not heard of Keith Brooks.  If you don't get much feedback here, you could try looking them up on a review site like www.weddingwire.com or www.weddingchannel.com.

We used Emery's Flowers in Maumee, OH and loved them, but I'm thinking they're probably not on the "approved list."

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Keith Brooks is brilliant! His designs are beautiful! But he is VERY expensive.
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I have heard great things about Keith Brooks as well....but also about how expensive he is.  Good luck.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I find that odd that your venue requires you to hire a specific florist.  I lived in Toledo my whole life up until two years ago and I have never heard of either of those florists.  Sorry.

I'm using Craig's Flowers and Gifts on Alexis Rd, which probably isn't on the list either.  I wonder what happens if you just hired someone not on the list?
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    At the Glass Pavillion and Museum they are really strict about flowers!!!  They won't even let a boutonniere from an unapproved florist through the doors.  They say certain flowers can ruin the art.  I'm not sure if the approved florists treat the flowers or only use specific types.  Keep this in mind if you think about even just doing pictures down at the museum.  I understand the reason for the policy, but they are not very nice when enforcing it.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Christie, Interesting about the flowers at the museum.  I never would have thought about that. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's... ridiculous.  Absurd even.  A calla lily is going to look the same whether you spent $10 or $1 on it.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no wedding experience with Hafner, but we have ordered Mother's Day flowers from there a couple of times.  Each time, the bouquets were ready on time, looked beautiful when we picked them up, and the flowers lasted as long or longer than I expected.

I know it's not quite the same, but I HTH!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I used Hafner for my wedding this past July. They did an AMAZING job and at a great price! I was also not from the area and they made it very easy to work out the details over the phone.
  • edited December 2011
    I used Glendale for my wedding in 2004 at Toledo Country Club and they were wonderful! Diane (who I believe has retired) was so fun to work with and came up with some really creative ideas that I never would have thought of. We've used Glendale for several events since our wedding and they have yet to disappoint. We also met with Keith Brooks, but I personally preferred Glendale's style. I'd suggest meeting with both to see who you're most comfortable with.

ps. We've been to two weddings at the Glass Pavilion this summer and they were gorgeous - you have a beautiful venue to work with!
  • edited December 2011

Aw yay thanks Heather!
    I did meet with Diane on Saturday and she was really nice. She will be sending me an estimate soon. I also met with Beth at Hafner on Saturday and she's really nice (& funny!!) too.
    I might go visit a few other places on the approved list. I did look - and someone mentioned Emery's - they're on the list so I'll be calling them soon! I can't remember about the others. 

We are super excited about our reception being at the Glass Pavilion. I don't care if there's a select list of florists to work with -- it's going to be so pretty! My mom & I stopped by there this past Saturday while they were settnig up for wedding and it looked gorgeous! We can't wait!! Too bad we still have like 11 months to go :-/

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bbn2011bbn2011 member
    edited December 2011
    How funny, I was at the Glass Pavilion on Saturday too.  I was there to check out the floral arrangements around 4:30.  We may have passed each other!

But the flowers on Saturday was done by Emery.  Yes, they are on the approved vendor list!  I suggest you try them!

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    That is funny! I was there with my mom because she wanted to get a picture of how things would be laid out. I talked with Kerri for a few minutes and she mentioned how the flowers were from Emery's - I loved the arrangements so I'll be giving them a call soon! 

When's your wedding bbn2011? Is it at the Glass Pavilion, too?? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bbn2011bbn2011 member
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is this weekend!  I can't believe it is here!  OMG!

We are actually getting married in my parent's back-yard!  We wanted something more memorable for the both of us and with my parents owning over 5 acres, we took advantage of it. But I don't think I could have pulled it off without my wedding planner/coordinator from Your Perfect Day.  She has kept me calm though this whole process & she will be there on my wedding day to make sure everything runs smoothly!  I highly recommend everyone use a professional, if you don't need them for the planning process, at least use them for help on your wedding day!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello,

I am currently working with Dennis from Glendale flowers. She has wonderful idea, is and very easy to work with. I highly recommend her.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards