Oklahoma
Options

should my brother be a groomsman?

I have a situation: My fiance and my brother don't know each other all that well, but my mother insists that my brother is one of the groomsman because me and him are so close.  I feel that it is the groom's choice who he has stand up there.  What do i do? What do I tell my mom?

Re: should my brother be a groomsman?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    When we got married, my little bro was 1 of the 4 groomsmen.  I think it's a great gesture, especially if you don't have lots of brothers.  You're not asking for your little bro to be the best man or anything, and he can still have all of his other close friends be GMs.

It's totally up to you and your guy, but I know it meant a lot to my little bro to be included....and now that we have been married for a while and they've gotten to be part of the same family, it means even more.

Just my opinion.

CONGRATS on your wedding though!!
  • Options
    steffydollysteffydolly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's up to you. My little brother is actually the best man because the three of us are all really close, plus he's family.

Ultimately it is the guy's choice though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What does your FI think about it?
    Would you be opposed to having your brother stand on your side and being a brides-man?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say it's up to you and FI.  Remember that there's always the option of your brother being your "Man of Honor" or something, too.
  • Options
    lmf2010lmf2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with 2 things:
    1) It's yours and your FI choice, mostly his choice.  If he is cool with you having input, and that works for you guy, great.  If not and he has a strong opinion, let him have his way.  These are the guys he will be spending his last few single moments with.  That being said, I TOTALLY disagree with mothers insisting on things.  My FMIL is like that and we always respond with "we will talk it over and figure it out."  That way she is not running the show, we are.  Just my opinion.
    2) You could have your brother stand on your side, if he is cool with it.

Another option, have your bro be an usher.  My brother and I are close, but my FI and he are not, and I can't see my brother standing up on the "girl's side".  We wanted to keep our wedding party small, and FI had 3 people he REALLY wanted to be his groomsens.  So we enlisted the help of 2 other close male friends and my brother to be ushers.  Likewise, I'm not close to his sister, so she is a greeter.  That way both still get to be involved.

Hope that helps!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards