Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

FIs job search...

well, it's not looking too good for FIs Pittsburgh job search. Everything seems to be falling through. I'm super bummed - I tried to tell myself to not get my hopes up but I ultimately did and now I'm really upset. I really miss my family and would love to be home for a bit... We're going to keep looking but things aren't looking so good right now... :(

Re: FIs job search...

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry his job search isn't going well! Is there anyway that anyone on here can help? What kind of leads is he looking for?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if it would help, but my go-to job site is indeed.com- pulls jobs from Career Builder, Monster, etc. into one place. You can search by key words and zip code, then more specifically for company, part time vs. full time, etc. I'm not familiar with his field though, so not sure if it's a useful tool for him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_fis-job-search?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:4254909f-387c-4523-baa8-7ae370ba2d79Post:e1c27d95-25ae-4517-a6ba-73871d5f7d2f">Re: FIs job search...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know if it would help, but my go-to job site is indeed.com- pulls jobs from Career Builder, Monster, etc. into one place. You can search by key words and zip code, then more specifically for company, part time vs. full time, etc. I'm not familiar with his field though, so not sure if it's a useful tool for him.
    Posted by KimWard[/QUOTE]

We see how successful your methods have been for your DH.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls...

Trisha - It's def worth a try to see if anyone on here might have any leads for him! He's looking for a management position in a hotel. He currently works in Food & Bev Mgmt at a Marriott around here. He wants to stay in management insetad of just taking any position at a hotel so that sort of narrows down our options. He had a few leads but they've fallen through :( My family and friends at home are still working on getting leads for him but it's just not looking really good. His degree is in HRIM (Hospitality & Restaurant Industry Mgmt) and loves the field.

If anyone has any info or leads it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Kim - I'll forward that site to him - perhaps it will be helpful! He usually checks HCareers.com (hospitality job site) and a few others so I'll let him know! Thanks!
  • Options
    alainn15alainn15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if he is already checking, but I see a lot on Craigslist. You just have to be careful because some are scams. It can be frustrating looking for a job around here. It took me from July to May to find something and I wasn't looking for anything extremely specific. The right one will come along eventually. Good luck
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    Hm... has he spoken to anyone at the Fairmont? What about the new hotel in the South Side Works?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    He hasn't been looking too long, so keep the faith! I'm sure he'll find something!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Trisha - he has not gotten in contact w/ the Fairmont. I keep telling him to though! As for the new hotel in SS works - it looks great! The only issue is it doesnt look like it has a F&B division - it's worth a try though! Thanks!

J - I know... It just got me down b/c the one very promising lead turned out to be a dud... Def keeping my fingers crossed! I know it's totally unrealistic, but I wanted it to happen quickly, especially with my schooling. I didn't want to go into a new semester and then have to leave mid-semester and lose all that money! Still... I'm hoping for the best!
  • Options
    Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    G-- just sent you an e-mail!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    dbpsu18dbpsu18 member
    edited December 2011
    There's a new hotel on the north shore - Hyatt Place! But i don't know if they will have a F&B department.

• Options
    phillychica85phillychica85 member
    edited December 2011
    G-Keeping my fingers crossed for you that something pans out! I totally sympathize as I so desparetely at times want to move back to Philly be closer to my family especially my grandfather as his condition is worsening. The only thing that keeps me from saying to H that we're moving to Philly manana is the much cheaper standard of living here. Philly $$ wise has changed so much from when I was a kid/teen.

Continued good luck!!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ash - YG email back!

Julie - I totally hear you there! It's so stinking expensive in Philly! Which is one major reason we'd love to move... but I feel your pain in being away from your family :( It really stinks!

db - thanks for the info! I'm going to look into it now!
  • Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    edited December 2011
    Another thing he might want to try is getting on LinkedIn and joining either an HR group or a hotel management group in Pittsburgh and posting his resume or adding a person in one of the hotels he would like to work with and messaging them. This is usually pretty effective and I have heard from HR professionals that they appreciate it when job seekers reach out to them on LinkedIn.
  • Options
    morainemommorainemom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's a new Marriott being built up in Slippery Rock - that's about a 45 -60 min. drive to Pittsburgh.  Tell him to check into that.
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for all the suggestions! xo
  • Options
    jenice95jenice95 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I came across this when I was looking at the visitor's bureau for my room block. It opens in Spring 2011. Not sure about the F&B dept or anything.

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/listings/index.cfm?action=display&listingID=7233&menuID=205&hit=1

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kristenrmu22kristenrmu22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Keep your ears open. I heard that they are getting ready to build a hotel across the street from the New Consol Engery Center. Unfort, that is the only info I could provide. 
  • Options
    gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Jenice! I forwarded him the info :)

kristenrum - I will definitely keep my ears open! My family is doing the same as well. It's much easier for them to find out about new things as I'm in Philly and don't hear much news about Pgh here :( But thanks for the info!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards