Michigan-Detroit

Marriage License- out of state minister

Hello all!  I currently live in Connecticut but both fiance and I are originally from Michigan. I looked at the macomb county and even called the number posted for marriage licenses and requirements. Our minister is a cousin that currently lives in Tennessee and he is ordained.  The woman on the phone said that as long as he was allowed to perform weddings in Tennessee, he can perform them in Michigan. He just has to sign and return the marriage license within 10 days. 
My question is this:  Does anyone know if the minister has to turn in the license or if the couple can? I am sure he will be heading back to TN Sunday evening and the offices are obviously closed.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone else in this situation?
Thanks for your help :o)

Re: Marriage License- out of state minister

• We're in the same boat.  We live in PA, but are getting marreid in MI and our officiant is legal in PA.  I don't recall seeing anywhere that the officiant has to return it in person.  I think they can send it in. 
  • my friend (no wedding officiating experience) performed my wedding and we forgot the license so it didn't actually get signed until the next day (haha oops) and on top of that we weren't aware of the 10 day rule. However, we sent it in, it just has to have the correct signatures and send the correct copies. At least in michigan they have no way of knowing who sent it. The reason why ministers and officiants are usually the ones is because they are legally liable and can be actually  convicted for a misdemeanor and fine if it's past the 10 days. That was stated right in the license directions.
  • MSUalum, I got my license from Macomb County. I left with 3 copies and a pre-addressed  envelope for the minister to return it to them. If you want to take on the responsibility of returning it, AND the minister doesn't mind, I'm sure it's fine.
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses. I feel good now. :-)  Have a nice weekend
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards