Catholic Weddings
Options

catholic service w/ no mass

What can be omitted from a catholic service with no mass?  I know the presentation of the gifts can.  Also what must be sung? I'm not catholic but my fiance is and we are trying to plan the music for our catholic ceremony...

Re: catholic service w/ no mass

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll need an entrance song (processional), psalm, gospel acclamation, and recessional. A meditation song is optional. 

As far as what's omitted, there are two main parts to a Catholic mass: the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. A wedding without a mass still has the full Liturgy of the Word, but no Eucharist. So everything that falls under the Liturgy of the Eucharist is omitted. This includes:

The presentation of the gifts (gift bearing)
    The preparation of the altar
    The Sanctus (Holy, Holy)
    The Memorial Acclamation
    The Doxology
    The Lord's Prayer
    The Sign of Peace
    The Breaking of the Bread
    Communion
    Communion Song
    Prayer after Communion

The ceremony still includes:

Processional
    First Reading (Old Testament)
    Psalm
    Second Reading (New Testament) (Optional)
    Gospel Acclamation
    Gospel
    Rite of Marriage
    Concluding Prayer
    Recessional
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. It is a very basic ceremony and shouldn't take more than 30 min or so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    While it is a very basic ceremony, the length depends on how long the readings you choose are, songs, how longwinded your priest is, etc.

We're doing a ceremony outside of mass and our priest told us to anticipate 30-45 minutes.
  • Options
    agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, the marriage rite in a liturgy of the word also includes the intercessions (prayers of the faithful), the our father, sign of peace.

The new testement reading is technically not an option, although some priests don't enforce it.

Here's the outline:

Processional
    First reading
    Psalm
    2nd reading
    Gospel Acclamation
    Gospel
    Homily
    Rite of marriage
    Prayers of the faithful
    Our Father
    Sign of peace
    Recessional
  • Options
    edited December 2011

What parts of that need to be sung by the cantor?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If your processional and recessional are instrumental then the cantor woul lead the Psalm and the Gospel Acclamation.  The Our Father can be sung, but doesn't need to be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should meet with the music director of the church you are planning to get married in. Our church required that we attend a music/liturgy planning workshop. I am not doing a full mass either and the the music director was extremely helpful by telling me exactly how many readings we need, as well as  the psalms and music we can choose from.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, find the "Together Forever" booklet. You can find it pretty much anywhere and it will help you narrow down readings and show you what you need to include. We just decided which readings yesterday!

A cantor isn't required (I asked the Deacon who will marry us) You may choose to have a cantor though. We decided that we would rather just have the Organist play and the congregation sing (I'm Methodist and that's how we do it at my church so that why we decided that way).
  • Options
    MissAngelMissAngel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the parish.  Our parish does the Prayer of the Faithful, but no Our Father and no Sign of Peace.
    You do not have to have a Cantor since the Responsorial Psalm can be spoken.  But I have seen some churches request one anyway.  It depends on your presider.
    Also, our parish always has an opening hymn and opening prayer after the procession is complete.

Although, the church that I am getting married at does not have an opening hymn.  I would ask to make sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards