New Jersey

Priscilla of Boston Brides - please read

Hello,

I saw hobo18's earlier post about having her appointment canceled.  I visited the website and found that Priscilla of Boston is going out of business in 2012. 

On the website it says all orders are SAFE and will be delivered:

http://priscillaofboston.com/faq.jsp

It says specifically:  "We will fulfill every order that was placed at a Priscilla of Boston salon."

I'm so, so sorry to share this - I know this is going to cause a panic, especially after the issue with Nonchalance.  POB is a reputable, nationwide company and say they will remain in business until 2012.  I wanted to give the heads-up for those of you who are considering POB gowns. 

Right now my dress is there but the salon is closed.  I am hoping that I can pick it up as scheduled.  Between this and potential hurricane Katina, I'm a little sick right now. 

Best wishes to everyone. 

Re: Priscilla of Boston Brides - please read

• edited December 2011
    Hii there.  Omg what the heck is going on!  My dress is there and my fitting is scheduled for next Tuesday!  Will I be able to get my gown?  And have my fitting????
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hi - I'm sending you a PM...
  • xanabelaxanabela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow .. this is crazy! I am scheduled to have my muslin fitting in September. We've already paid for the muslin and alternations package so that we won't have to pay for any alterations.  I will have to find out if I am going to get that money back since I won't be having any alterations done there now, i'm assuming?
    Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    edited December 2011

It says the salons will be open but to what degree I'm not sure. 

Here's the email for customer service:

customerservice@priscillaofboston.com

• edited December 2011
    I sent them an email.  I am in a panic anyway and plan to take my gown home on Tuesday along with my flower girl dresse and matron of honor's dress whether they are finished or not. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    edited December 2011
    I just got a call from them.  They found out this morning.  They will be open for business tomorrow until the end of the year.  They are in the process of calling every single bride who placed an order and anticipate it taking a day or two because of the volume of people. 

I also found out they have 19 stores and are owned by the same investors that own David's Bridal.  Not sure if this matters, but is another point of contact. 
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds from the FAQ that all orders already placed will be taken care of.  I'd still talk to the salon itself, but for an October wedding, it sounds like you'll still be ok.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • dsimone43dsimone43 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for this information!  I purchased my dress there in July and haven't gone for my first fitting yet.  This is such bad bad stressful news.  I can't wait to talk to them on the phone to find out what's happening.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That was shocking! Good luck to everyone who is in the same situation as well.  My muslin is ready and they want me to come in as soon as possible to fit me for the dress
  • edited December 2011
    Update:  My consultant called me as well.  She explained I can still come for my next fitting on Tuesday, my matron of honor can go on Sept 15th but I have to pick up my flower girl dresses and take them elsewhere to be altered which is fine.  I am just not comfortable with them having my gown.  I don't know what to do!  I may go tomorrow and just take it as is.  I know a very good seamstress who could finish it if necessary I just don't know what to do!!!  Everyone else, as pp states, definitely touch base with your consultant. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kellybee83kellybee83 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Wow, Priscilla of Boston has so many beautiful dresses.  One of my favorite dresses was POB, but my Lazaro was "the one".
    I told my best friend (MOH) after seeing your post.  Her dream dress is POB (she's not engaged yet, but was having fun looking when I was) She's also a bridesmaid in a wedding in December where both the bride and bridesmaids purchased the dresses from the POB flagship store on Newbury Street in Boston.  Her friend didn't even know until my best friend passed the news along to her.  She was at the Newbury St store yesterday and the entire front of the store was empty.  She was told they were emptying it out to make room for new gowns.  I find it very hard to believe that the employees there didn't know what was going on, and I'm sure they were lying.  Luckily the bride's gown just came in.  She just called the store to ask about alterations (which she had already paid several hundred dollars for) and was told that if the dress was in the process of being altered they would finish, but no new alterations and no new orders.  I'm not sure yet if she's going to get her money back for alterations.  The bridesmaids dresses haven't come in yet, and the girls all already paid $50 for alterations, so I'm not sure what's going to happen there either. 

Glad you're all set in your gorgeous dress Gia! 

Photobucket
  • xanabelaxanabela member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't realized that my consultant had left me a message. So when I did realize at 7:50, I called and they were still there. They pushed my September 12th appt for my muslin fitting to this Friday. I didn't get into financial details over the phone, I will on Friday.. I will let you all how it turns out.

Photobucket

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I JUST ordered my dress- less than 6 weeks ago. I'm afraid if they haven't started the dress they won't finish it. Freaking out a little....calling them tomorrow. Not sure if I will be able to sleep tonight :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids dresses are from there and I was just there last Saturday for one of my bridesmaids fittings - this is so crazy! Another bridesmaid hadn't gone for a fitting yet, but it sounds like she won't be able to now. :( I feel so bad for brides who found their dream dress there and hadn't placed an order yet...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello,

I am a POB brid and I called today after reading their email. My consultant said that all dress orders WILL BE fulfilled if you've already placed an order.  She essentially said they will expedite the processes to finish making the last of their dress orders (an assured me that the quality will remain the same).  I tried my muslin on in June, and my dress was supposed to come in at the beginning of December.  My consultant said that with the store closing, it is more than likely that my dress will be in a month earlier, but that she will let me know for sure in a couple of weeks.   I was so sad to find this news out, this was the first and only place I went, and I bought the first dress I tried on.  The service was unmatched and I just cannot believe they are going out of business. 
  • edited December 2011
    I can't believe it either. Priscilla is such an iconic brand - when Priscilla Kidder was at the helm, she dressed the daughters of two presidents, and Grace Kelly's bridesmaids. She was the Vera Wang of her day. It's sad to see this. The recent works under the PoB umbrella were beautiful, but beyond many budgets. Still, it's a shame they're going under, and I wonder if David's even tried to sell the brand (or was their strategy when they bought it to eventually close it?) I hope all upcoming Priscilla brides get their dresses!
  • edited December 2011
    How sad to hear this. I did make appointments to look at the PoB in Short Hills, but found my dream dress and chose to stop looking. My friend went there and though she did not purchase, had the experience of her life there. She said they made her feel like a true bride.

It's sad to see that in this tough economy, established brands like this are forced to close their doors.

For everyone that purchased their dresses there, I hope that everything works out. I imagine that they will still fulfill your needs and will not do anything to prevent you from looking your best on your special day.
  • edited December 2011
    I talked to the manager of the Short Hills store today. She was nothing but wonderful and made me feel so much better. My dress will be in much earlier than expected- December instead of March but assured me the workmanship will be the same. It's really sad they are closing. Their dresses are really beautiful and I had such a wonderful experience there. My consultant had been there for 25 years. I can't imagine having to leave now. :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Very, very sad news....but- everything is now 40% off!!! Trying to look on thebright side :oD
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards