Hawaii

Venue and Date help?!

Hi ladies!

I am new here and newly engaged :) I am looking at the Royal Kona Resort to do our wedding and am debating on July 11, 2011 or October 11, 2011.  Also what package to do.  I am in Ohio so am doing all of my planning on-line.  I am also concerned about getting our immediate family out there, being that airfairs are kind of pricey.
If you have any thoughts or suggestions any places or what to do or not to do when it comes to planning the venue etc. if you could please let me know.  I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much

Heather
Heather & Kenny 10/9/11

Re: Venue and Date help?!

• sld0618sld0618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!!!

I don't have any help for the Big Island, but my advice is to just research everything and spend plenty of time researching it all to get the best deal/what's right for you!

Good luck!!!
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the Knot!  Unfortunately, I can't help you with your venue as I am getting married in Maui, but I have some advice on the airfare - wait.  We are getting married in July and I have family flying out from Illinois and Wisconsin and the fares are currently $1,000RT, but in a few months they will drop a LOT.  I just got a notice last month that out of O'Hare to Maui through May it's only $462 round trip, so I think it's just a matter of waiting until the fares drop.  The airlines tend to keep them inflated until a few months before and then they panic and want to fill seats so they drop them. 
    Good luck with your wedding planning, and welcome!! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board! I love the Big Island. Why did you choose there?

July tends to be one of the high seasons on the islands, so if you're looking to save money on airfare and accommodation, many places (condos especially) tend to offer discounts in the fall months... so if you're flexible on dates, I'd probably go with October to get married in.
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We considered October as well since it's more affordable then.  But ultimately we went with summer (August) because so many of our guests had children in school and it would have been really hard for them to travel for a vacation in Hawaii with their kids in school.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Heather!
    Congratuations on your engagement!
    I live in Kona and am getting married in just 4 short months! I'm familiar with the Royal Kona Resort, not necessarily for weddings but know the lay of the land, location and surroundings, etc. I'm still fiinalizing many things for my wedding and a lot of this wedding planning stuff is new to me too. I'd be happy to help you with any questions you may have.
    Happy New Year!

-Kim

• edited December 2011
    AK - sent you a PM, too, but where did you see those fares from O'Hare?!  We have 4 guests coming from there...
  • edited December 2011
    aloha!!!
    can't help with the venue, but congratulations! We got married this past October because it's a cooler time of year than the summer and was cheaper for my family to fly out from California. I think most people purchased their tickets in July and it was under $400 each! That is also right after a holiday weekend, right? Better timing for kids that are in school I'd guess!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards