Ohio-Cleveland

1st Dance

We are interested in somehow incorporating our guest into our 1st dance.

We were thinking of having a bowl of lighters and having everyone hold up a lit lighter during our 1st dance, but timing wise not sure people will hold a lit lighter for up to 5 minutes (don't know the 1st dance song as my fiance is surprising me with it at our reception), but we'd like to do something along those lines.

I checked out some mini flashlights, but everything I've seen so far is really cheesy looking.  Our wedding theme is simple romantic elegance, flowers are roses and cali lillies...colors are black,white and red.

Anyone got any ideas?  or possible websites to check out for some kind of mini flash light that doesn't look cheesy?

Thanks!

Re: 1st Dance

• JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry so much about how the flashlight looks. It's gonna be dark or dim and the impact will be the light itself. If it works for what you want, go for it. I would not use lighters though. First, your venue may have an issue with that. Second, not everyone knows how to operate one (all are childproofed now) so the nonsmokers may not want to be bothered trying to figure it out.

The Princeton Tec Pulsar keychain flashlights are great. They'd make a nice, functional favor AND provide points of light during your dance. Worth checking out at least. You can get good deals on them online (about $7 each typically but some sell for less), but if you want to check one out 'in person' to see what you think, D!ck's carries them, as does Appalachian Outfitters and surely other area retailers. DH and I each have one on our keychains and use them a lot. Super handy! They come in different case colors, too, including black, red, and clear. There's also a Pulsar II flashlight which has an actual on/off switch rather than just a 'squeeze on' activator.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BIZVN2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000BKXFJ2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=090F5EJ29DRZ98K46RBN

Photon makes a 'rainbow' light that looks kinda fun (but costs more)
    http://www.photonlight.com/products/Specialty-%27X%252dColor%27-Photon-Fun-Lights.html

Photon also used to make colored LED lights (yes, the light beam was a color like red or green or yellow or whatever) but I don't know if they still do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JKohioJKohio member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh! I thought of something else. How about those little LED tealights? They'd be inexpensive (check any craft store), are easy to turn on or off, and would give a bit of light for effect.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • starshine985starshine985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I wouldn't do the lighter.  Although it would probably look neat to have all the guests raising a lighter during your dance, it could be dangerous.  Many places don't allow open flames.  But, even more than that, if you try to keep one lit for too long, you can burn yourself (not pleasant).  Just something to think about.

I like your idea of a mini flashlight - and you don't necessarily need to worry about how the flashlight looks because you won't see the detail of it in any pictures. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can find those LED tea lights at the dollar store. I THINK 6 for $1!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards