African American Weddings

Any brides out there that did their own flowers (or plan to do so)?

So, I had my first florist consultation today 3 months from the wedding ( i know) and I what I was quoted is not in my budget.  I only want a bridal bouquet, throw-a-way bouquet, 5 bridesmaids bouquets, and 12 boutonnieres, and 15 corsages. I was quoted over a $1,000. I requested flowers that are in season and for the florist to use her creativity. I even offered to pick up the flowers instead of delivery. As of now, I plan to my own flowers but I do have a consultation with another florist on next Saturday. 

For brides out there that did their own flowers (fresh or silk), what advice can you provide me? I prefer fresh flowers because I like the way they smell :)
March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Any brides out there that did their own flowers (or plan to do so)?

• If you prefer fresh flowers, then go to your local grocery store. They may even be able to make them for you. So, make sure you get a quote from their floral department for all the items you want. 

If you plan to do them yourself, you can use Sam's Wholesale Club for fresh flowers. 

I used silk flowers and have no regrets as I did not want to spend the extra money for flowers that would be dead in a few days. These were soooo much more cheaper than fresh flowers. Plus, I had the ability to tweak it a bit if I didn't like it since I was a first time bouquet DIY'er!  I purchased most flowers from www.afloral.com and Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off. 

I recommend making mock-ups of what you want...this is why silk is so much better for the DIY'er IMO bc you can reuse the flowers. Watch some you tube videos on how to make bouquets. Www.afloral.com has an awesome website and if you send them an inspiration photo, they will tell you which flowers you can use to make the bouquet(s). This section is under wedding inspiration blog on there website I think. 

Cha

Here are pics of my bouquet and my attendants bouquets that I made with silk flowers:

click here to view our Amazing Love wedding website Anniversary
  • Well I decided I wanted something special so I am making a brooch bouquet... I know that you will get a lot of advice regarding fresh flowers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am making my own flowers using silk like Cha..I wanted to be able to tweak and bend and turn them if needed for them to look a certain way. Also I think because I just cant see myself throwing away 1k in the garbage by the end of the reception just for some flowers im not gon think twice about during the events of the day will make me smh..lol I rather use that money towards my HM or the open bar. Cha's flowers are beautiful and I can post some pics of mine later to give you some inspiration ! Like Cha said do a mock up of using silks or try the grocery store. Good luck we are here to help !
  • thanks ladies. Cha, your flowers are beautiful and I def agree that I do not want to spend too much on flowers. I haven't ruled out silk flowers and will be looking into them and the grocery store. And Mrs. Bad, I agree that such money would be better spent on our honeymoon! Which I am sooo looking forward to. You ladies are so full of wedding wisdom. Much Love! 
    March 2013 January siggy challenge - hair inspiration Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Im not a huge flower fan so Im going the silk flower route. My BMs will only carry 1 stem that I got from Hobby Lobby and I will be making my own bouquet. They are the real touch flowers(look and feel real). You can catch hobby lobby sales when they have them on sale for 50% off. I agree with Cha about the real flowers- Sam has some packages online thats way below 1000.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess the majority of us prefer silk flowers...myself because I want keepsakes and to not feel money that I don't have wasted....hobby lobby, afloral.com and silk flowers factory.com.....oh and save on crafts.com are good spots
    ****The Future Mrs. Ikeard**** wedding countdown
  • I have always heard of ppl using silk flowers but me personally i just dont like the look too much although Cha's fowers were gorgeous and i wish she was here (MIAMI) to do mine i just love the look of real flowers... sorry im definitely no help on this one LOL

Lilypie - H1jI

Daisypath - MFL5

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards