Catholic Weddings

Where'd you seat the priest?

So my fiance and I have decided to do a sweetheart table, and then have 2 tables devoted to the wedding party and 2 more devoted to the rest of our immediate families.

We recently found out that our priest is friendly with one of my fiance's uncles...they go out to breakfast a couple of times a week after daily Mass. We were thinking of seating the priest with this uncle and his family, but I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is...should the priest be seated with the immediate family? Is it rude to not have him at one of the "head" tables? What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Re: Where'd you seat the priest?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We seated him with our church friends. He was very, very glad that we weren't planning on seating him with people that he didn't know... I guess he's had bad experiences in the past.

I think it's more important to seat him with someone he'll enjoy spending the evening with
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have to invite the Priest? I had no idea if you did. I am new to this whole catholic thing so sorry if i affend anyone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    wife, yes, the priest should be invited to your reception and your RD.

we were planning to seat ours at my mom's table if he came to our reception.  as it turned out, he had to do a baptism right after our wedding so he was unable to go to our reception.  our our RD, he was able to come, and we sat him next to us - it was one big long table, we were in hte middle, and he sat on my right.
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    He sat at a table with my aunt, uncle and cousins, whom he's friendly with since they're also involved in our parish.
  • edited December 2011
    Our priest is a family friend (his cousin is my mom's best friend),  so we will probably seat him at a table with his family!
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Calypso

what is RD?
  • edited December 2011
    Never mind! lol I was thinking about it last night and I got what RD means now!
  • edited December 2011
    We have 3 priests and 2 deacons and 1 nun attending our ceremony/reception. They will all sit together, with the married deacons wife and some family friends from our church. That'll be our rowdy table.
  • echo136echo136 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it makes sense to seat him where he is comfortable. We are looking at having a 3 priests...at least...it could get bigger - if it gets bigger it will be crazy because it will mean high up people coming.....bishops, nuncios, you know the regulars (this isn't really a big deal to us cause FI's family is close to them) Anyways the moral of the story is that the one priest who is celebrating the Mass is a good friend of ours and he will be sitting with other friends of ours most likely. The other priests are more friends of FI's family and will likely sit with other friends of the the family.
    I think it all depends on the priest/deacon and the situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards