Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

allergic!

my ring is 14k white gold which i am apparently ridiculously allergic to! my finger got all itchy and its been swollen like balloon for 2 days. anyone had this problem and found a good, not-super-expensive solution?
Are we there yet? Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: allergic!

• Options
    CLEAR FINGERNAIL POLISH!!!
    KStar Design.com
    Fluffy
    ***TTC Buddies w/ Monkey1018 & TTC/GP BFF w/ Jeep Doll***
    **GP Lucky Charm: TheDeatons**
  • Options
    Get a different metal. They make guy rings ni tungsten carbine, and titanium I am sure they could do something for you. Maybe also think about sterling silver...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was allergic to my white gold ring as well, so I feel your pain.  I did a lot of research online and I choose to get a ring with a differnt metal. My new ring is very similar to my orignal ring.  I didn't want to have to worry about putting clear nailpolish on all the time and I wanted to wear my ring without my finger getting red, swollen and itchy.  I switched and got palladium ring, you can also get platinum or any pure metal.  If you talk to the jewler they can let you know what your options are and what they carry. 
  • Options
    I hate to say it, but I don't think this is something that you can live with or fix without getting a new ring.  Nickel in white gold causes allergies (in some people) that can be very difficult to live with, and you don't want your wedding or engagement ring to cause you pain and suffering!  Try a high-karat yellow or colored gold, stay away from white gold except palladium white gold, which uses palladium instead of nickel for the whiteness (and is quite beautiful, imo), or go with a different metal entirely.  Titanium is often used in bone graft supports and is very unlikely to cause irritation.  Not sure about tungsten or other metals mentioned.
    When you go to the jeweler, make sure you ask what the composition of the metals are in the ring.  If they don't know or won't explain fully, walk out the door.  Serious.  A reputable, knowledgeable jeweler will be able to tell you what is in the ring.  Copper alloys in low-karat gold can cause allergies for some people as well.  If you don't want to spend the money now to get a gold ring (they ARE expensive), buy a sterling silver ring and the replacement gold ring can be a 1st anniversary present.
    Lastly, most people don't realize that wearing a (especially a wide) ring constantly (meaning in the shower, while exercising, etc.) without taking it off to "rest" once in a while CAN cause symptoms akin to a allergic reaction.  Your skin under the ring may appear flaky or oddly wrinkled, and it will itch.  Take off the ring and wash it in (mild) antibacterial soap and let it rest for a couple of days (you might want to check with your jeweler to make sure what kind of soap you can use to wash the ring - stay away from exfoliants and harsh polishing agents, especially with colored stones or patinas).  Treat the finger well in the meantime by washing with antibacterial soap and hydrating the skin until the irritation disappears.  Basically, what happens is that a collection of soap, water, and dead skin cells (and anything else you may have gotten on your hands) collect in the porous surfaces of the ring (yes, metal is porous, just not to the naked eye), sometimes leading to a mild fungal or bacterial infection.  On the outside of the ring, it isn't an issue because the ring is exposed to air and light.
    My final advice - talk to the jeweler who sold you the ring - they may have tips or at least offer you a discount if you have to buy another ring.
  • Options
    a friend of mine also is allergic to nickel and has a white gold ring. she didn't realize she was allergic until he now husband proposed with a white gold ring, and she woke to find her finger swollen and itchy. she took it to the jeweller and they were able to apply a special coating to it so that the nickel would not be directly on her skin. it's worked for 5 years and has now worn off so she's taking it back in to get another layer of the coating put on. i would take it to a jeweller and ask if they can do that, that way you don't have to change your ring!
  • Options
    I have heard that jewelry stores can put a special coating on the ring as well.  I would try that first, and then if that doesn't work look for a new setting.
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Options
     If you don't want to keep going back every few years to get it re-coated I would suggest getting the ring made in palladium. It's much cheaper than platinum, but it is in the same family of elements so it's pretty much allergy proof.  I've known that I have had a nickel allergy since I was 7..and even if I coat jewelry with clear nail polish, my body reacts right away. I understand your frustrations! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I'd get a new metal. Coating it is a temporary fix ... and I don't know, to me, something just doesn't seem right about having to constantly "fix" a ring you're supposed to wear "for as long as you both shall live".

I know that this is the ring he proposed with ... but I'm willing to bet if he knew you'd be allergic to it, this wouldn't have been.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    thanks for everyone's ideas!!! super helpful :)
    Are we there yet? Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I used to work for a dermatologist and have seen this on more occasions then I would like. Nickel in the gold is causing your reaction. DEFINITELY take the ring off to stop the allergic response. Use a cortisone ointment/cream (ointments are better then creams as the contain less preservatives which can trigger more alleric reactions) to help with the response, if the response is very bad you can take Benedryl to help with the swelling. If you have skin break down you will need to be very careful to avoid infection. Once the reaction has settled down and the skin has returned to baseline do NOT put the ring back on; the reaction can become stronger with each outbreak and can become systemic (you would be surprised to know how many foods actually contain nickel and trying to avoid this is a pain in the butt!).

Platinum is what we always recommended our patients to get however I know this is pricey! Palladium is a nice alternative as it is also hypo-allergenic, contains no nickel, and is much more budget friendly. I would go back to the store the ring was purchased and explain the situation. Most setting's come in a variety of metal's and some stores will give you 100% of the value for you ring, meaning you will only have to pay to difference in metal if you are allergic to the metal.

Hope this helps, Good Luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards