Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Ceremony Site - Need Suggestions

Hello All!

Looking for some suggestions on a ceremony site. I would really love to have our ceremony in a church, however, when I moved to Pittsburgh I never joined a church and my fiance is Catholic so he only belongs to his Catholic church. Neither of us want to have a Catholic wedding.

I am open to doing our ceremony at the same site as our wedding reception, but a church or chapel would be ideal.

We are kind of all over the map with looking at reception sites. We are looking more for affordability than location. Our two top contenders for our reception are The Fez in Aliquippa and The Willow Room in Belle Vernon.

Any suggestions on churches or chapels in those areas that would allow non-members to hold a wedding?

I appreciate any suggestions! :)

Re: Ceremony Site - Need Suggestions

• Options
    ros3392ros3392 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kim- It is not too late to join a church. I live near the Willow Room, but I am Catholic, so I am not help on that front. Is your wedding at least a year away? You can join now and it won't be as expensive.  One of my friends had to pay a ton of cash for having her wedding at a church she was not a member of. I just had to give a donation of my choosing for my ceremony. Sorry if this isn't helpful!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    cgyvhucgyvhu member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    quite a few churches let people get married without being members.  As ros said, sometimes this ends up being a more expensive option than becoming a member

Old Stone Church in monroeville is non-denominational (I think it's just a historical site), and you bring your own officiant.  First Unitarian in Shadyside is unitarian (open to any belief) and provides an officiant.  I believe First Baptist and Bellefield Presbyterian in Oakland allow non-member weddings, but I'm not sure of any details.

And if you are a Pitt alum/immediate family of an alum, there's always Heinz Chapel.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!

I'm having my ceremony at the Old Stone Church in Monroeville. It used to be a church but now is a historical building. It's run by the Monroeville Historical Society so you can google it to look.

It's $300 and you can bring in your own officiant.

Hope that helps
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    There are a lot of churches within a 5-10 mile radius of The Fez.  I don't know if they allow non-members to get married there, but you can call around and ask.  They might charge a higher fee than they do for members.  You can do a google search of the local churches.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of the suggestions! It is great to at least have an idea of where to look!
  • Options
    carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    ditto pp, there are a bunch of churches around the fez. obvi fatima is the closest, but it's catholic. prince of peace is on 51, st stephen's, that church on brodhead i can't think of (but is likely a presby church..brodhead presby maybe? ha, could be!),  or there is also a church right behind the fez whose name i never knew, but i'm sure the fez will. i know the people that own the fez, they're good people and super helpful.

if it's warm weather, you could consider getting married at hopewell park i suppose (watch out for the duck poo).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    strlzfan11strlzfan11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_ceremony-need-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:9164afe8-7f48-455c-a059-5fb07d3da175Post:79f5bda7-83e5-40c7-96d6-49e6e9e91496">Re: Ceremony Site - Need Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]ditto pp, there are a bunch of churches around the fez. obvi fatima is the closest, but it's catholic. prince of peace is on 51, st stephen's, that church on brodhead i can't think of (but is likely a presby church..brodhead presby maybe? ha, could be!),  or there is also a church right behind the fez whose name i never knew, but i'm sure the fez will. i know the people that own the fez, they're good people and super helpful. if it's warm weather, you could consider getting married at hopewell park i suppose (watch out for the duck poo).
    Posted by carcrashheart[/QUOTE]

The church you're thinking of (the one right behind the Fez) is Ohio United Presbyterian.

Other churches in that area include: (that I can think of off the top of my head)
    Hopewell Alliance
    Brodhead Alliance
    Crestmont Alliance
    Mount Carmel Presbyterian
    New Life Presbyterian
    Raccoon Presbyterian
    First Baptist
    First Methodist
    Wildwood Chapel
    St. Catherine's
    Prince of Peace
    St. Elijah's

These churches are all in between the Hopewell & Aliquippa exits off of 376 (which I still want to call 60).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards