Second Weddings

Questions about 'no gifts' and attendants/witnesses

First of all, we do not expect gifts and have been reading here that we should go ahead and register and only give registry info to those who ask.  I want to confirm that it is NOT proper etiquette to say "no gifts please" on the invites, since this is what I had planned on doing.  I just don't want people thinking we expect gifts, when we really don't.

Second, all of our children will be our wedding attendants for our small outdoor wedding.  They are all minors.  So can other guests who are sitting and watching the ceremony served as witnesses on the license?

Thanks ladies!

Re: Questions about 'no gifts' and attendants/witnesses

• Hi.

It is considered rude to mention gifts in any way shape or form on any wedding stationery.  If someone asks you where you are registered, you can share that with them, but it's frowned upon to mention gifts at all.  FI and I put together a small registry at CrateandBarrel.com so that people can guy us a little something if they wish.  We've told our parents and siblings where we are registered so they can let people know via word of mouth if it comes up.  We're not doing a wedding website or anything, either. 

As for your witnesses, yes, I believe that anyone in the room who is of age can sign the license, but it may vary from state to state.  Check with your Registrar to be certain.

Good luck with your planning!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Yeah just don't mention the gifts. We're not registering anywhere and will be gracious for what we receive.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • On this board, we've found that not registering leads to closets full of white elephants.  Many people who love you and are happy for you want to show you by buying a gift, even though you may have spread the word that you don't need anything.  Beware the dreaded and now fabled chili pepper lamp.  (I'm sure it was lovely, but it didn't go with anything the reciever already had.)  So, register, but let folks know you don't  need or want anything by word of mouth. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • We did not register.  I wish we had taken the time to do so.  Just because we didn't want (or expect) gifts does not mean that our friends and family did not want to extend their support by giving a gift. 

While we did not receive a chili pepper lamp, we received multiple items that just are not our style. Where are those white elephants?  Under the stairs, in a storage bin, on top of the kitchen cabinets.  Ugh!

Think of a couple of dozen things you'd buy for yourselves and just have not  ... luxurious linens, perhaps?  How about a set of amazing steak knives?  How about a crystal vase you'd love to have for flowers?  The registry doesn't have to be huge, just big enough that a small percentage of your guests have something from which to select.  We received a LOT of cash, but those dozen or so gifts?  We haven't used a single one.
  • I forgot about the witness thing.  Most states are moving toward a "no witness" rule--we didn't need any in Florida, only the officiant had to sign the license, then she turned it in, and viola, our marriage certificate was waiting for us in our mailbox at our home when we returned from our honeymoon. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_questions-about-no-gifts-and-attendantswitnesses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:5374dfbe-668a-41b3-bf85-d41daa5060a3Post:ccb502ff-ba3d-42a8-9c6c-60546016d433">Re: Questions about 'no gifts' and attendants/witnesses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I forgot about the witness thing.  Most states are moving toward a "no witness" rule--<strong><font color="#000080">we didn't need any in Florida</font></strong>, only the officiant had to sign the license, then she turned it in, and viola, our marriage certificate was waiting for us in our mailbox at our home when we returned from our honeymoon. 
    Posted by handfast4me[/QUOTE]

No witnesses required in Anne Arundel County, Maryland either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards