Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Can't afford Music...Suggestions?

We can't afford a dj or a band for the reception. We could have an ipod but we don't have any music and can't afford to buy a ton of it just for the wedding. What should we do? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Can't afford Music...Suggestions?

• Options
    I would suggest getting your friends together (or start a facebook group) and pool all the music you do have into a list that you can use, which I would then put as a playlist on an Ipod or computer or whatever you choose to play it through. If I lived anywhere near you I'd cut you a deal to help out (I dj), but what I said above could work. Another Idea would be to make a youtube playlist if your venue has internet and play it through the speakers. 
  • Options
    I should have noted that our venue does not offer internet. However, ipods are always an option as we have several available to us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think getting with your friends is a great suggestion.  I know downloading songs at $0.99 a piece is expensive.  What about CD collections?  It's time to look through everyone's CD collection and upload to itunes.  I know I haven't bought a CD in years and it can be hard to do.  Hopefully you get things worked out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Maybe you can register for ITunes giftcards instead of like traditional registry items and then use the giftcards to purchase music from ITunes? Just let people that know somwhow that is what you want instead of shower gifts?

The CD idea is great, burn them right to Windows Media player or Itunes for free.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If there's a university or college in your area, look into having a student group play (a band, string quartet, or even a solo musician). They may agree to play/sing at the wedding for much less than professional musicians would charge.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did I mention that I myself have an associates in Music Merchandising?! lol -- this should have been the easiest part for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BalaenaBalaena member
    First Comment

I love the get all your friends CDs together and see what you can download either to windows media player or an ipod, and then go out and get only a few new songs with amazon or itunes. You could also theme the music, like jazz, and just pick out a few mixed Cds at a used music store (test them first for skipping, but Ive found great affordable Cds that way).

• Options
    There is a program called Spotify.  You can get an app from the Istore.  You can have the songs you want played on there for free.  You can buy an offline version for $8.99 a month, but the first month is free to try it out.  When you don't have internet connection you can still play your playlist.  I am using it for the ceremony portion of my wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards