Pre-wedding Parties

Church Host Pre-Wedding Party Advice

Even though my wedding is a fair ways off (roughly 20 months at this point) women from the congregation have approached me about them wanting to host an engagement party for us.

While I know it is not in good form to invite people that are not invited to the wedding, our church is notorious for throwing wedding related Potlucks and hosted parties in which the whole congregation is invited. We haven't even set an official date because we haven't booked our venue. My guest list is not anywhere near finalized, but I need to keep it under 100 guests. So I wouldn't even be able to promise the people wanting to host this party an invitation to the wedding,

While I don't want to be rude and decline, I feel like a) it is too soon for any pre-wedding parties, and b) it would be disrespectful to accept a party from people who may not be invited to our wedding.

Any suggestions on what to do?
A and B
Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Church Host Pre-Wedding Party Advice

• McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the rule for this is that church groups are excluded from the "must be invited to the wedding" rule.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that church (and office) pre-wedding get togethers don't have to follow the "everyone must also be invited to the wedding" scenario.

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone! I just feel bad having a party in our honor when a majority of those invited and even the hosts may not be invited. I don't think it would be such a big deal to me if we were getting married in this specific church building, but we won't. Maybe I am just overly concerned.

Once again, thanks for the input. I really appreciate it!
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards