Maryland-Baltimore

Baltmore Brides- Bad Alterations Experience- Long Post

Hi girls!

I'm a Pittsburgh bride getting married in just a couple of weeks, but I was on the Baltimore boards a few months ago asking for bridal store suggestions. My mom lives in Maryland so I decided to get my gown there with her. Everyone suggested to go to Betsey Robinson in Pikesville, which is what we ended up doing.

As far as a shopping experience, Betsey Robinson was wonderful. I had a lower budget, but was still treated like I had a huge budget. The service and selection of gowns was wonderful and overall I was very pleased. I decided to get my alterations there just so my family could be there for my fitting. I knew the alterations were a bit pricey, but I assumed at such a high end salon they knew what they were doing.

I did 3 alteration visits. The last visit I was by myself, and I wasn't sure about the fit. It was bunching up in one spot on my tummy, but they said it would come out in the steaming. It also felt too long and a little big in the stomach (they hadn't taken it in even though I lost weight). I was unsure, but the associate assured me it looked beautiful and fit perfectly. I didn't have anyone with me to tell me otherwise, and the room was quite dark, so I just assumed it was ok. It was steamed for me and I  took it home.

I was nervous about it still, so last week I tried it on again and immediately knew something was wrong. The spot they said wouldn't bunch up when it was steamed? Yeah. It looked awful. And it was too long and loose. I took it to a well known bridal alteration store here in Pittsburgh on Monday, and there were three seamstresses who helped to fix it. Here's what they found.

Problem #1: The inner bodice was not taken in at ALL. So the inner bodice was what was bunching, as it was literally 4 sizes larger than the outer layer. The seamstresses here were shocked it wasn't done. I had lost weight, and yes, the outer bodice still needed to be taken in as well. They were also shocked that the orginal seamstresses let me walk out with it that big. I haven't lost any weight since the last fitting in MD so it was just as big when I left Betsey Robinson.

Problem #2: Not only was it too long, it was and inch and a half longer on the right side than the left. The bustle had to be adjusted as well.

Problem #3: This is what really makes me mad. They steamed it incorrectly (too quickly) and there are giant water marks that show up on my satin gown.

I cried. And panicked. Thankfullly the wonderful ladies as the shop in Pittsburgh are fixing it in time for my wedding and I go in tomorrow for another fitting. And they have a dry cleaner who will take it after the alterations to get the water marks out.

At the end of the day though, I am out a LOT of money. Half the cost of the gown in fact for alterations and cleaning. And that's after the ladies doing my dress felt so bad for me they didn't charge me as much as they usually do (and a third of what Betsey Robinson charged). Not to mention the costs I lost driving to MD when I could have had it done here orginally.

I realize now I should have had it done here and gone with my gut. But I assumed that a high end specialty store such as Betsey Robinson would know what they are doing. Instead I paid a lot of money for an obviously rushed and poorly done job.

I just want to give girls a warning. I would recommend buying a gown there, but by no means getting alterations. They can be done better and at a lower cost elsewhere.
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Baltmore Brides- Bad Alterations Experience- Long Post

• I think this is pretty common for girls to have wonderful shopping experiences with places and terrible experiences with alterations.  For that reason I am finding a separate seamstress.  I am so sorry to hear about your situation but thanks for sharing to help other ladies out.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Thanks for the heads up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ash- I wish I had done that to begin with. I think it is smarter to chose a tailor that is experienced in wedding gowns somewhere else. Cheaper and they probably take more pride in their work.

Meghann- No problem. Just trying to help some other brides out.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is awful! So glad you were able to find a solution.
  • Wow--I wonder who did the alterations?? I bought my gown there but they recommended Luda Zayats as a seamstress (got the gown as a sample sale gown). I'm about to write a post asking about her so if you have any input let me know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards