Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Are work showers or work bachelorette parties appropriate?

My boss has thrown around the idea of having a small shower with co-workers and some co-workers have mentioned having a bachelorette type party. Are either of these events appropriate? No one from work is invited to my wedding. Actually no one at all is invited to my wedding. I know someone will ask, and no I don't excessively talk about my wedding at work. I was engaged for almost six weeks before my boss knew. I answer questions wedding related questions when asked. Last year a colleague got married and we had a shower for her, so it is commonplace at my work. I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about it though, but I don't want to cause drama by declining. I'm afraid that they are offering to have these events because they feel like they have to or because they know I'm relatively new to the city and don't have any family or friends nearby. This might just be me bring paranoid though. What do you think I should do? Accept and be uncomfortable or decline and risk looking unappreciative?

Re: Are work showers or work bachelorette parties appropriate?

• Options
    If it makes you uncomfortable, you can politely decline.  I do think a work bachelorette party would be weiiiirrrd.

What did you mean when you said "Actuall no one at all is invited to my wedding?"  Are you and FI eloping?
  • Options
    I agree that the bachelorette thing would be weird. That's normally reserved for friends and family.

I think (as long as you aren't eloping) that a shower at work is okay if its common and they all are aware they aren't invited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    Thank you for the wise words. Technically its not considered an elopement since the date has been announced and family and close friends are aware.
  • Options
    The work place shower is the exception to the rule that all shower guests must be invited to the wedding. So it's okay to accept the shower from your coworkers.
    I agree with pp that the bachelor party would be weird and uncomfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards