Wedding Reception Forum

DJ & Band?

So, I've been thinking about music I would like to have at my wedding and I would love to have a band play some oldies we have grown up with but I also want to have music that everyone can dance to like rap and also some slow songs that a band probably wouldn't be able to play. Would it be weird to have a DJ and a Band? Has anyone ever done this?

Re: DJ & Band?

• Sounds like it would be too expensive and a waste.  I would do one or the other.  And as a matter of personal perfernce rap music does not belong at a wedding.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • That's a really good idea about the Ipod. I was thinking about how expensive it might end up being too so that's a good point. I'm also not sure who does the announcements and whatnot if you have a band instead of a DJ. All the weddings I've been to the person doing the announcements does the DJing too. Any ideas on that?
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:c7fb5bbd-636b-43da-b0ac-bb41309ad8ccPost:51a83699-56c7-4839-a311-2f4dd0a0b91c">Re: DJ & Band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's a really good idea about the Ipod. I was thinking about how expensive it might end up being too so that's a good point. <strong>I'm also not sure who does the announcements and whatnot if you have a band</strong> instead of a DJ. All the weddings I've been to the person doing the announcements does the DJing too. Any ideas on that?
    Posted by wjf5024[/QUOTE]

Usually the "leader" of the group will do it.  Definitely something you would want to talk with the band about.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • edited February 2012
    What my original thought was would be to have the band playing oldies for the first part of the reception then the DJ with more of the dance music later in the evening when probably more of my older family will have left. But it does seem like it might be kind of weird to try to have both...
  • It sounds nice to have both, especially split up between first part of reception and second part of reception, but you would still need to hire them for the entire reception time because the last thing you want is the band breaking down or the dj setting up in the middle of your wedding.

Honestly, I would have one or the other.

• We're hiring a pianist for the cocktail hour, because she's cheaper than paying the DJ for an extra hour. But that's different. I agree with PPs that both would be sort of odd. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_dj-band?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:c7fb5bbd-636b-43da-b0ac-bb41309ad8ccPost:632831bc-de3b-4ce2-a91c-03afdbc52a98">Re: DJ & Band?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like it would be too expensive and a waste.  I would do one or the other.  And as a matter of personal perfernce <strong>rap music does not belong at a wedding.
    </strong>Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

whatever type of music you and your guests enjoy belongs at a wedding.  rap, reggae, alternative, punk rock, heavy metal, r&b, polka, classical,....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • =) I kind of like rap at weddings. It's fun to dance to.
  • We're having a string quartet play during cocktails, then having the DJ play dinner music and the music for dancing later. 

If you split up the bands time with the DJ's that might work, but having them both there would be odd, not to mention take up a lot of space.
  • We had a five piece salsa band as well as a DJ.  It was neither weird or a waste.  We made sure that the DJ knew the band and had worked with them previously.  The DJ (no crazy lighting/props with a small turntable) played during the band's break and kept the music up after the band finished with their sets.  The band even played the song I chose for the father-daughter dance....which meant a lot to my dad.  The DJ was in charge of all the anouncements during the wedding and it was all very seamless.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards