Ohio-Columbus

Out of Town Bride Needs Advice

Hi Brides,
I'm from the Columbus area and my fiance and I plan to have our 2013 wedding in Columbus, but we live far away in Portland, OR. We are currently in the process of identifying ceremony/wedding venues. We both love the outdoors (more country, woodsy, rustic feel)and would like that reflected in our venue (prefer no hotels, country clubs). We want to maintain a budget close to $20,000 (will have approximately 100 guests) and it seems like easy ways to save money involve BYOB and having options on catering. However, planning this wedding from the west coast seems like it would be super challenging to coordinate various vendors, cermony set-up, clean-up. and I'd like to have a a venue where a lot of that is included.
We are looking at The Darby House, Grange Audobon Center, Camp Mary Orton..do any of you have any advice on coordinating a wedding from a far and if it is reasonable to have a 20,000-ish wedding that is fairly easy to plan?? ( I know I may be in the clouds on this one).

Thanks a bunch!
A wishful thinking bride

Re: Out of Town Bride Needs Advice

• I want to throw a suggestion in for Brookshire Event Facility. It has an outdoor space that's very pretty and wooded, plus outdoor reception areas. The reason I'm suggesting it though is because it has everything included- DJ, Cake, Food, Florist. I'm planning from long distance too and it has been a life saver because I can do everything in one place. Also, Joy, the woman who runs it is great. 

$20,000 for 100 guests is totally do able in Columbus area. We're spending a bit, but not much, more than that for between 175ish. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just an FYI if you are interested in the Darby House during the months of May-September their prices are really expensive unless you are open to a Friday or Sunday wedding. To have the venue all day Saturday it's a minimum of $20,000 ($13,000 for 6 hours or half day). You are also required to use Cameron Mitchell catering which is also on the pricey side. My FI and I are going to view the venue this Friday and I'm worried I'm going to fall in love but it be over my budget. Thought this might save you some time while looking!
  • I second the above comment about the Darby House. It was very expensive, but gorgeous and we didn't go with it.

My H and I actually planned our wedding from out of state as well. The best advice I can give you is stay very, very, organized. Also, lists, lists, lists are your friends. Whenever you visit Columbus, have your trip well planned with appointments of interviewing vendors, etc. Good luck! I definitely understand how it feels, but if you start early, break it down in sections, and pace yourself, it is doable. We had a great wedding day.
  • Suggestion for you!

I would definitely make a trip out here to choose your reception and ceremony site! Just becuase when we were looking at pictures online we thought we liked something and then we got there and did not like it at all! If there is anyway that you can make the trip I would suggest it! 

The darby house was beautiful but we are planning a November wedding and it was going to be 17000 for 200 people, and that was for just food, drink, and reception place, you can definitely find something cheaper (another issue if people drink too much it is far away from the hotel so that is a long drive for everyone to get there)

Brookshire is great, my friend just got married there and it was super easy! You are suggesting doing your own alcohol and caterer, and we are doing that and it has added a lot of stress for us and we live in town, just FYI!

Also search for other brides reviews that will help a lot! 
  • Katie, I sent you a PM.
  • If you have a 20,000 budget for 100 guests -- completely doable -- I would recommend carving out room in the budget for a wedding coordinator.  My daughter is getting married in Laguna Beach with a reception here, and we hired a coordinator for the Laguna Beach portion.  Trying to find all the vendors -- photographers, musicians, etc. -- without living there was going to be too much of a nightmare.  We have relatives that live there, and asking them to do cake tastings and find caterers and scout locations was going to be too difficult.

You might even save some money if you get a good coordinator who knows the best vendors for the lowest cost.

• At Bryn Du Mansion you can have your ceremony outside. It's a very unique venue that definitly fits the more country, woodsy, rustic feel you were hoping for. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards