Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Indoor ceremony & reception in the same room. Re-arranging chairs--tacky??

I can't figure out how I feel about this. I'm planning a winter wedding and would rather not have my guests freeze to death outside, so I've always planned to have my ceremony inside. Next weekend I'm going to see a couple of venues, two of which hold the ceremony and the reception in the same room. Apparently during cocktail hour, they remove the chairs from the ceremony and do a little switcheroo for the reception. Both places have said they do this "seamlessly" and in under 10 minutes. Normally I'd write off the idea completely because the idea to me just ruins the magic, but both places are considerably cheaper than my other venues (7-10k cheaper). They're both highly recommended venues with great service, but I'm wondering if this is worth it? Is that something people do normally, or is this considered tacky? I've attached pictures of the two venue ceremony spaces I'm considering--both ceremonies would take place in front of the fireplace. Thanks!!!

Re: Indoor ceremony & reception in the same room. Re-arranging chairs--tacky??

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_indoor-ceremony-reception-same-room-re-arranging-chairs-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:f9f748a4-0709-405b-8f2c-8214d4ba844fPost:1f7402c4-bc96-481c-9176-6312c1a77d8b">Re: Indoor ceremony & reception in the same room. Re-arranging chairs--tacky??</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not tacky at all.  You could also have guests seated at dinner tables for the ceremony.
    Posted by LucyHC[/QUOTE]

We are considering doing this!
  • personally was really underwhelmed by weddings i have gone to with table seating during the ceremony, makes it a lot more informal and theres more distractions, further distance (so harder to see and harder to hear), and often are looking at the heads of the people across the table.

I dont think 10 minutes is too bad, often they can do water and a snack or something in the lobby while they rearrange the room, or get your officiator to mention that there will be a 10 minute stretch break and to be back in 10 minutes or something along those lines. If it was 30 minutes or 2 hours then id try and deal with it, but 10 minutes in my mind isnt long to be asked to wait in the lobby (especially if theres drinks  and washroom access and maybe a goodie)

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Sounds like it's worth letting the venues show you how they work their magic.  Another poster had a good idea of seeing about having water and maybe something to munch on available for your guests while they wait those few minutes.

Whoever said it was supposed to be happily ever after is a big fat liar.
  • Where does the cocktail hour take place? I've often attended weddings where the ceremony is in one room, the cocktail hour takes place somewhere else and then back to the original room for the reception. In fact, I'd say that's the norm for weddings I attend.

My only concern would be if there is no place else for guests to go during a cocktail hour and then where are they during this transition? I'd ask for details on how they turn the room and where everyone is during the process.
  • I went to a wedding where the ceremony and reception were in the same place.  They had the tables mostly set up off to the sides so when the team was changing things from ceremony to reception, all they had to do was carry the tables over to their places, surround them with chairs, and put out the glassware.  We were in a different part of the room for the cocktail hour when all of this was happening and no one noticed.

I love the second pic you posted! That venue looks gorgeous! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am in the same boat as you and I was having the same issues but have decided its just fine to rearrange the chairs. We will be having cocktail hour during this time so nobody will care :)
  • If you're planning on having a cocktail hour or something to get everyone out of the room for about 20 mins (give a little extra time than they say they can do it in for time to fix any mishaps) that would be perfect. Especially if your saving 7-10k on those instead of 2 separate places or rooms.

• This is what they are doing at my wedding.  While the caterer says they can flip the room in 15 min, I will probably not rush people back in right away, maybe give them 45min for cocktails and appitizers.  I don't think it will be tacky or weird at all, and the cocktail hour will be just outside the ceremony room.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Keep in mind that this is what will end up happening for pretty much every wedding that was meant to be an outdoor one, if it rains.  They tend to get moved to the reception area.

Guests have probably been to several weddings with a 'chair switch' before and won't find it particularly strange.
  • Thank you guys!! Made me feel a lot better about this being more of the norm. I'm going to check out the venue later this week. Wish me luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards