Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Father daughter dance song help

My dad and I are not super close, although he is always there for me when needed I am not "daddy's little girl" never have been, never will be. 

All the typical songs are too "sentimental" for us but I want a song that is special yet not over the top like most songs tend to be.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Father daughter dance song help

• Options
    How about the "Unforgettable" duet with Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole?  Classic, but not overly sentimental.
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    I am not a fan of super mushy songs either. Just not my style. We found Paul Simon's "father and Daughter" and loved it. It's a little upbeat, still has some sweet lyrics, but isn't in the same vein as "Butterfly Kisses," KWIM?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    pkontkpkontk member
    First Comment
    Is there a song you both really like?  The father-daughter dance doesn't have to be slow or to a sentimental song - my dad and I are dancing to Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon because, well, we always knew we would!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-song-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:731de796-34fe-4cd7-b066-f93a519cb7bfPost:a0136c2e-2eb9-44ae-924f-a25bb5442c81">Father daughter dance song help</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad and I are not super close, although he is always there for me when needed I am not "daddy's little girl" never have been, never will be.  All the typical songs are too "sentimental" for us but I want a song that is special yet not over the top like most songs tend to be. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Posted by lstruggles[/QUOTE]

"All You Need Is Love" by the Beatles
  • Options
    I danced with my godfather. We used Somewhere over the Rainbow.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Rascall Flatts "My wish for you" might be good.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We used the "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" cover by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (AKA the Hawaiian version used in every TV show montage in the history of ever).  I wanted to use "Baby Girl" by Sugarland, but my dad is not a dancer and wanted something slower.
  • Options
    abbitha7abbitha7 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Maybe your dad could choose something. That's what I did with my dad. Granted, we are pretty close, but he chose a song that was played during our favorite TV show (The X-Files) and we are going to dance to that. He liked being able to have a say in the music.

Edit- We are going to dance to Walking in Memphis, the Cher version. It's not outwardly sentimental, but my immediate family will know exactly why it was chosen.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-song-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:731de796-34fe-4cd7-b066-f93a519cb7bfPost:f40799f5-96f2-4f03-a82b-3b7f4eac08fc">Re: Father daughter dance song help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am not a fan of super mushy songs either. Just not my style. <strong>We found Paul Simon's "father and Daughter" and loved it.</strong> It's a little upbeat, still has some sweet lyrics, but isn't in the same vein as "Butterfly Kisses," KWIM?
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

That's what my dad and I are dancing to!  First I wanted to use Ben Fold, Gracie.  But my name is not Gracie and I know it's dumb, but I didn't want to use it.  Paul Simon is one of my favorites!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've chosen The Way You Look Tonight by Sinatra. It's got a medium tempo so we don't have to dance too slowly but it's not a fast dance either. My dad and I are very close, though and I wanted something sentimental, but that I would be less likely to completely meltdown on the dance floor.
  • Options
    mia888mia888 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    There You'll Be - Faith Hill
    Dance with my Father - Luther Vandross

or go for the more upbeat ones if your Dad is ok with it. here's a good list where I got my ideas for my father-daughter dance. hope this helps. http://weddingwhoop.com/the-best-10-songs-to-dance-with-your-dad-at-your-wedding/
  • Options
    pretty sure my dad and I are going to use 'Daughter' by Loudon Wainwright III.

We didn't want anything really mushy either.  My dad is a big Loudon Wainwright fan and I am a big Rufus and Martha Wainwright fan, his children.  So, it's perfect for us :)  The song is a little more upbeat and quirky.  I love it.  The lyrics don't fit us perfectly, but it's a sweet song and I like that it's a Wainwright because my dad and I have always had them in common. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-song-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:731de796-34fe-4cd7-b066-f93a519cb7bfPost:5073c018-5c08-422f-9938-a245bd13a421">Re: Father daughter dance song help</a>:
    [QUOTE]How about the "Unforgettable" duet with Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole?  Classic, but not overly sentimental.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

This is what my dad and I picked. We're very close, but didn't want overly mushy lyrics. Unforgettable just felt perfect.
  • Options
    Isnt she lovely is super cute byt Stevie Wonder
    Wedding Countdown Ticker SoFla August SiggyimageCake Inspiration
  • Options
    Isnt she lovely is super cute byt Stevie Wonder
    Wedding Countdown Ticker SoFla August SiggyimageCake Inspiration
  • Options
    My father and I are also dancing to "All you need is love" by the Beatles.
    It doesn't have to be perfect to be everything I want!
    Rings2
    143 Invited image
    88 will be there! image
    55 would rather stay home :(image
    0 Are procrastinating!image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, wow, you posted this at the perfect itme. I am in the exact same situation as you, lstruggles. So thanks for all the great suggestions everyone.
  • Options
    Also, I just found a version of the Beatles "In My Life" by Johnny Cash on Spottify, and it is PERFECT. My dad is an old school country guy (where I am not) and I think he will love it. 
  • Options
    JimianJimian member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    The first concert my dad took me to was a Beach Boys concert when I was 8, so were dancing to "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys. I just went to a wedding where they danced to "Our House" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young because the Bride loved that song as a little girl and would sing it all the time. One of my girlfriends is using "Sweet Child O Mine"- but the Cheryl Crow version, because her and her dad are both Guns and Roses fans.  Maybe you can think of a song that gives you a similar memory of your father or your childhood? Is there a song or particular artist out there that you think of your dad when you hear the songs? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_father-daughter-dance-song-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:731de796-34fe-4cd7-b066-f93a519cb7bfPost:026231cc-cbcb-454c-a506-61ae25eaefa0">Re: Father daughter dance song help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is there a song you both really like?  The father-daughter dance doesn't have to be slow or to a sentimental song - my dad and I are dancing to Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon because, well, we always knew we would!
    Posted by pkontk[/QUOTE]

OMG! I had to respond to this because I always imagined my Dad and I dancing to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner by Zevon! It's not at all wedding-appropriate but it is the song that played during one of the only "good times/memory" I have with my Dad. I think that is what is important - a song that is special to you, even if it isn't sentimental or sweet or father-daughter themed. I'd take Roland or Werewolves over a "meaningful" song that doesn't hold any meaning for me, y'know.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards