California-San Diego

Ceremony on the Beach help

So we're planning on getting married on the beach in San Diego next June. Can anyone suggest how I can go about planning this from Canada? My fiance is from California and lived in San Diego before moving up the pacific northwest  to be with me and he still has family there, but I wouldn't really rely on them to help much with planning. We're only looking to have the Ceremony in San Diego, the reception will be in Canada. We're also on a fairly tight budget, so Hotels etc our pretty much out of the question because they are so pricey.

Which beaches would be best/easiest? 

I understand a lot of places you need a permit, but after you get the permit, then what? Public beaches, do you just go and set up your ceremony and hope that large men in speedos don't walk down the aisle with you?

How does this all work? Any tips on how I can go about planning this would be awesome.

Thanks!

Re: Ceremony on the Beach help

• edited December 2011
    The place to start is with the permit. You will probably want to hire a coordinator to get everything set up for the ceremony.  As you pointed out, it is a public venue so you do run the risk of having strangers around and watching. However, most people will be respectful and just clap for you at the end.

I saw a wedding down on the Silver Strand beach on the other side of the Del in front of the big condos. As far as other beaches, you might check with the permitting folks, I'm sure they can make suggestions for where you would have the best luck. The bay might be easier than the ocean side of things.

Best of luck!
  • MonciaanneMonciaanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with jayasolo, I would start with the permit and go from there.  I would call the city and ask what there requirements are for getting married on the beach.  If you have a budget for a coordinator then I would do it, because they will be very helpful.  Plus they would be able to tell you the best beaches to get married at that are not so crowded and they can help you get rentals for the ceremony.  Unfortunately even though you will have a permit that will not keep people from walking around or watching your wedding.  They are still public beaches so you are going to have people around no matter what. 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards