Wedding Reception Forum

Reception Decor Ideas - Not Centerpeices

Hey Ladies!  I need some help with decor ideas.  Our reception venue is a convention center in a state park here in TN.  It's a great place, and we love it, but I'm not sure just how to decorate it.  We are having more of a finger foods type reception where people can mingle and be a part of the party.  So, I will have a few tables out where people can sit, along with the food tables of course.  So, I don't need centerpiece ideas, really just ideas for the windows and walls.  Our colors are brown and orange, and it is a 4:00 reception.  The drapes are green, and we cannot take them down, and there is fluorescent lighting. I have posted some pictures of it.  it is a long room with a large fireplace.  These pictures have a divider up in the center of the room, but it will not be there during the reception.  Thanks in Advance!

Re: Reception Decor Ideas - Not Centerpeices

• home depot and lowes have really big cheap plants you can buy--i would get a lot of those and decorate them with twinkly white lights so that way maybe you do not have to do the flourescent lighting.  i am not too creative, so right now, that is the only idea i can think of, sorry!
  • The fireplace area looks like a great place to hang some tulle and lights, draped up across the brick I think that would look lovely.

A few good big plants would be a good idea for the corners of the rooms like PP said, but the ceiling looks like it could use some sprucing up. Paper lanterns in your colors would look great hanging from the ceiling and give it more of an ambiance. Or some hanging stringed lights if you can get them hung correctly or get someone to hang them for you.

The walls look fine since there are so many windows they wouldn't need anything else.
  • I think the fireplace is just begging for lots of candles . . all highest! A fire place is also a great place for pictures. You could kind of do a picture banner across the front as well. The picture banner is an easy project. A friend of mine did this all she did was string pictures on colored ribbion.
  • I hate flourescent lighting, I would cover, I mean cover, the ceiling with paper lanterms with throwies inside. Candles candles. I agree with the big plants, some nursris will let you rent big plants, twinkle lights, create an atmosphere, the fireplace is a great focal point I would put pillar candles inside it, some interesting or lush tablecloths, bud vases rather than ceterpeices with orange flowers, brown manzinita branches, squash and gourds if you want to play up the fallness.

• I think with the decor in there already, limited as it is, some kind of laterns, not pape, but the glass and metal type woudl look great with the brown and orange for an evening wedding. - just a thought
    **So long little Ms. ...Hello Mrs.**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards