Latino Weddings

Bilingual Ideas

I am in the begining stages of planning my wedding. I am Mexican and my fiance is caucasian. I am also Baptist and his family is Catholic. We need some ideas on how to make both the church ceremony (he and his family are happy with a Baptist wedding)  and the reception bilingual. For the most part, my side of the family doesn't really speak English and his side of the family doesn't speak any Spanish. Anyone have ideas?

Re: Bilingual Ideas

• Cynthia1207Cynthia1207 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here are some ideas off the top of my head:

Have your programs bilingual.  This allows guests to follow what is going on even though it's in the other language
    One reading English, One reading Spanish
    Vows : You can say them in Spanish, him in English

At the reception, have your menus be bilingual.  Try to have a bilingual staff on hand.  MC must speak English and Spanish and he should announce everything in both languages.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You can do all your paper products in both languages as an effort to be bilingual.  Also, it might be nice to have a Spanish reading, or song during the ceremony.  As far as the ceremony and traditions, you can do the arras outside of a Catholic ceremony....as for the lasso, traditionally it is done with a rosary, which may not fly in a Baptist service, but you could use a double beaded rope that is not a rosary (I have seen this done as well) and it is non-denominational.

I would ask your FMIL what she would like to have in the ceremony.  She may have some valuable ideas!
  • KarinaK10KarinaK10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_latino-weddings_bilingual-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:680Discussion:11d06acb-94d3-403c-bfe6-4aae3ab6375fPost:4b6b0476-f850-4a44-9e7a-8e9006a9af0c">Re: Bilingual Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here are some ideas off the top of my head: Have your programs bilingual.  This allows guests to follow what is going on even though it's in the other language One reading English, One reading Spanish Vows : You can say them in Spanish, him in English At the reception, have your menus be bilingual.  Try to have a bilingual staff on hand.  MC must speak English and Spanish and he should announce everything in both languages.
    Posted by Cynthia1207[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Agreed. Thats the way that I have seen it done. Good Luck!</div>
  • edited December 2011

I'd say it would be even more cute if you said your vows in English and he said them in Spanish. Imagine the effort you'll be making for each other!

My mexican friend married a guy from Mississipi. His dad composed a speech for the rehearsal dinner, had it translated and read it in Spanish. Her family was floored!!!

• edited December 2011
    We had the programs and the menus in both spanish and english.  During the ceremony our minister conducted it in English and then would say it agian in Spanish.  It turned out really nice.  And all readings were done in english and spanish.  
  • edited December 2011
    I am saying part of my vows in spanish and then repeating it in english.  You can also have a mixture of music in both languages.  As for the church,,, find important parts of each religion and use them..  Your guests will get the hang of what is going on and will appreciate your tribute to both cultures and religions.  Be creative..  also check the interfaith board. 
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards