Virginia

Affordable venue, but mixed online reviews - beware?

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at the Inn at Kelly's Ford for my wedding ceremony and reception. When I called them up, they very helpfully listed out all the expenses and quoted a very reasonable price. I was starting to get really excited about it, thinking I'd finally found a nice place in our budget, but then I started looking at online reviews.

The majority of the reviews, especially the most recent ones, are terrible. They recount horror stories of double-booked rooms, mediocre food, snotty staff and unforeseen expenses. A lot of people who housed their bridal parties etc. at the Inn itself had many problems, including not having hot water, and being offered a more expensive room to make up for the reserved room being double-booked but then being charged for the more expensive room.

There are a few glowing reviews about the manager and the food, and how beautiful the venue is, and how easily the staff was able to deal with crises when bad weather washed out an outdoor wedding.

It sounds like that for most of the people who had problems, the issues arose when actually rooming at the inn, so I'm hoping that not staying overnight there will help prevent problems like that. We're going to visit in on Saturday morning.

Should I be running the other direction from this venue? Or should I be optimistic, take this low-cost, beautiful venue at its face value and hope I don't have any of the described issues?
Visit Purple.weddings.com

Re: Affordable venue, but mixed online reviews - beware?

• LadyArkhamLadyArkham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey y'all,

I'm looking at the Inn at Kelly's Ford for my wedding ceremony and reception. When I called them up, they very helpfully listed out all the expenses and quoted a very reasonable price. I was starting to get really excited about it, thinking I'd finally found a nice place in our budget, but then I started looking at online reviews.

The majority of the reviews, especially the most recent ones, are terrible. They recount horror stories of double-booked rooms, mediocre food, snotty staff and unforeseen expenses. A lot of people who housed their bridal parties etc. at the Inn itself had many problems, including not having hot water, and being offered a more expensive room to make up for the reserved room being double-booked but then being charged for the more expensive room.

There are a few glowing reviews about the manager and the food, and how beautiful the venue is, and how easily the staff was able to deal with crises when bad weather washed out an outdoor wedding.

It sounds like that for most of the people who had problems, the issues arose when actually rooming at the inn, so I'm hoping that not staying overnight there will help prevent problems like that. We're going to visit in on Saturday morning.

Should I be running the other direction from this venue? Or should I be optimistic, take this low-cost, beautiful venue at its face value and hope I don't have any of the described issues?
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried your local board?  If that board is active, you might get some feedback (good or bad) there that can help. It may be worth still meeting with this venue and just asking them point blank about their questionable reviews.  But I would certainly look at other options.  Will any of your guests be staying there?  That is something to think about also.  It won't matter how beautiful and inexpensive the venue is if you have a terrible experience.
  • LadyArkhamLadyArkham member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I posted asking for experiences with the place on the local board.

Is it ok to bring up the bad reviews with the people there? I feel like it'd make me really nervous.

(Thanks for responding!)
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_affordable-venue-but-mixed-online-reviews-beware?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d24950ac-8e89-4da2-be9f-9c7e7252ed53Post:7c551541-4077-496c-8332-87a9a73eb0f9">Re: Affordable venue, but mixed online reviews - beware?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted asking for experiences with the place on the local board. Is <strong>it ok to bring up the bad reviews with the people there?</strong> I feel like it'd make me really nervous. (Thanks for responding!)
    Posted by LadyArkham[/QUOTE]

If you are seriously considering using them, then you have to address the past problems.  Tactfully of course.  ;)  Something like "I've noticed there have been some recent complaints, of XX--how can you assure me that this won't be a problem?"
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it is OK to bring it up.  Just say that you were reading some reviews and had some concerns due to them, then list them one by one.

I had read a few issues with my venue and when I met with them I flat out asked them about it.  The person I spoke to happened to know exactly what event I was referring to and explained the venue's side of the situation.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think you should definitely bring up the bad reviews while meeting with them. I wouldn't be accusatory, but would let them know that you are hesitant because of reading some past experiences. It would depend heavily on their answers/explanations if I would go ahead and book them. If you do book them, make sure to get everything in writing, and be sure to ask for contingency plans in advance if something were to go wrong. I wouldn't write them off completely before you visit them, but I would be very cautious and thorough with the questions that you ask them regarding their lodging and service.
    Photobucket
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Moving you to your local board!
  • edited December 2011
    Angry people are the most vocal so normally online you will find unsatisfied customers. I would ask and see what they say.
    If you were coming in the fall I'd brush the summer by...Emily Dickinson imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • CvilleClaireCvilleClaire member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely bring it up.

I think it's also helpful sometimes to mention how active you are online with The Knot, Wedding Wire, reviewing vendors, etc.  It lets them know that the details of your experience will be documented.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards