Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcake flavors with a brunch reception?

Hello!  I am in the early stages of planning a brunch reception for a fall wedding in Colorado.  At first I thought we would just skip the cake, but it seems like that is not really common, even at a brunch reception.  The idea of cupcakes is growing on me (either mini or regular sized.)  I am hoping to pick 2 flavor options for our 80-100 guests.  I am thinking not tooooo sugary or chocolatey is best for a brunch reception, as cupcakes, etc. will likely be served around 3pm or so, towards the end of the reception.  VOTE! :)

Re: Cupcake flavors with a brunch reception?

• matuofmmatuofm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm seriously in love with all of these (except maybe the peanut butter).  But I feel the need to add that you said "fall wedding" and "not too sugary" and the first thing I thought of was "pumpkin."  Mmmmm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I voted for the chocolate raspberry, but PP makes a good suggestion about the pumpkin for fall. It would be a great treat!
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • futurepivkofuturepivko member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think they all sound good! i wouldnt do the vanilla, because its too ordinary for my taste.
  • edited December 2011
    They all sound really good... I wouldn't worry about too decadent for brunch. People who love sweets will eat them anytime of day ;-)
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    The French Toast sounds seriously intriguing. I know what my next experiment is going to be... But I ditto the idea of pumpkin. With a cream cheese-crystallized ginger frosting, yummy!
  • edited December 2011
    I think the French Toast one sounds amazing! Vanilla cake with vanilla frosting is also a good idea because it's universally liked, IMHO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    i voted cafe mocha.  i totally would vote for banana if the icing was nutella instead of pb......and ditto pp re: pumpkin or some type of spice cake.

yum!  your wedding sounds fun.  have a great day.
  • lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think french toast sounds delicious. but i agree with PP, i don't think you really have to worry about too sugary or chocolatey. you're talking about 3 p.m., not like 9 a.m. I think people will eat cake regardless of what the main course was.
    Anniversary image<br
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted the vanilla. It's standard, yummy and well received!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    They all sound so delicous and I love love love how well they fit into your theme! If your providing 2 choices, I really think any combo of those would please everyone.
  • edited December 2011
    I made mimosa cupcakes once for a wedding shower and they all loved them! It was a great brunch dessert. And for a baby shower you could change it out to use ginger ale instead of champagne so the mom to be can have them alcohol free! 
  • daisy662daisy662 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing a brunch reception as well (this Saturday!!!!). I am having a cake (because I love wedding cakes they are just so pretty!!) My cake flavors are pina colada and strawberry daiquiri. Yummy and refreshing!! Then, as my centerpieces and favors, I am doing cupcake towers - one at each table. I have 7 tables and there will be 12 cupcakes at each table. I have chosen about 6 or 7 different flavors so guests have their choice. I am also providing boxes so they may take the cupcakes with them for later if they don't want to eat them there.

Have fun!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards