Flowers

Why do bouquets have the flower stems showing on the bottom?

I am a lurker here just looking for inspiration.  Lots of great ideas.  But I have always wondered:  Why do bridal bouquets have the flower stems showing on the bottom?

Re: Why do bouquets have the flower stems showing on the bottom?

• edited December 2011
    It's a style.  Some bouquets are in holders (See Kate Middleton's wedding photos).  Personally, I prefer the ones that show stems.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also have the stems completely wrapped so you don't see the stems showing if you don't like the stems showing but you like the style of the bouquet.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't know if it was better for the flowers - help them last longer, etc.  I read a comment in a book full of wedding hints that the white plastic holders used for bouquets a few years ago look cheap and the florist was too lazy to do a proper bouquet. 

Are the hand tied ones easier to hold?  How would the ribbon wrapped ones on the end get water?

• Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011

If you want the stems completely wrapped then the florist will use a holder to allow the flowers to have access to water.  WIth the stems showing the florist will most likely deliver the flowers to use in a vase with water to allow the flowers to drink.  Just because a florist uses a holder does not mean it is not a proper bouquet.  Cascading bouquets need to be made in holders while round bouquets don't.  In the end it comes down to what you want your bouquet to look like.  The only downside of the hand wrapped bouquet is that the stem area can get quite large so it gets to be harder to hold with one hand.

• flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    FYI Kate Middletons bokay was a hand wired bokay-not in a holder.this is a technique that is rarely used but is appropriate in certain situations.
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most bouquets have the stems showing so the flowers can stay in water as long as possible.
  • edited December 2011
    As a floral designer, I tell you this.  You're alll wrong, it's just a trend.  This only works for round hand tied bouquets.  For cascades, you have to wire and tape each flower.  You cannot make a long cascade in a bouquet holder.  Bunches Bob, floral designer
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_bouquets-flower-stems-showing-bottom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:49f77c4e-1093-4153-a45d-ea9e767dfa13Post:5b9f03e6-4a10-44dd-be4e-1201b6fc926e">Re: Why do bouquets have the flower stems showing on the bottom?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a floral designer, I tell you this.  You're alll wrong, it's just a trend.  This only works for round hand tied bouquets.  For cascades, you have to wire and tape each flower.  You cannot make a long cascade in a bouquet holder.  Bunches Bob, floral designer
    Posted by bunchesbob[/QUOTE]
    excuse me but.......you have not kept up with the latest techniques  if you think the only wayt o do a cascade is to wire and tape the whole thing.    I have taught many florists how to make a cascade using a handtied twechnique and also in a bouquet holder.....and it does not mean one way is wrong or another right. Different flowerrs require different techniques.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards