New York-Long Island
Options

photographer recommendation for New York and Long Island

So my fiance and I were temporarily living in Philly at the time of our engagement and he hired two photographers that captured the moment and did our engagement session right after he proposed. We loved working with them and the photos were super artsy and non-traditional. We hate the posed stuff. Unfortunately we would love to use them for our wedding more than anything else, but they are very over our budget, and we would definitely not be able to do video as well.

Does anyone know any photographers in the area that do more creative type shots and are really fun to work with? I also need pretty reasonably priced, we have a tight budget.

Thanks ladies!

Re: photographer recommendation for New York and Long Island

• Options
    I am not sure about their pricing, but I've heard really good things about Benchwerk photography in NYC  - http://www.benchwerkdesign.com/. Also, if you're interested in videography, my fiance and I went with J.Castillo, they have a fantastic style and decent pricing - www.jcastillofilms.com.

My fiance and I are actually using Sherwood-Triartt for photography, and I really like them so far, but they are (a) pretty traditional and (b) way expensive, so I wouldn't recommend them for you.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Also, by way of warning, you're probably going to get private messages now from some of the vendors who post all over these boards, advertising their photography businesses.  Just as an FYI, those messages and posts advertising their services are 100% in violation of The Knot's terms of service agreement, which they agreed to when they signed up for a Knot account.  If you're okay with working with a vendor who can't follow a simple internet-user contract, then by all means consider them, but their inability to follow basic rules would concern me as a potential client.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    I'm getting married in December, and a fellow knottie posted her engagement photos and recommended Fleur-de-lees Photography, depending on your budget, Amanda-lee and her partner Kiley Mullen are great. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fleur-de-lees-Photography/140411464513, http://fleur-de-leesphotography.com/#. I also have friends that recently got married and they used http://www.theredsweatshirt.com/.
  • Options
    Lighthouse photography in port jefferson is great. Definitely would recommend them. Our engagement pics came out beautiful! Florio is photographer
  • Options
    We are using Silverfox, they have a dj too so can work with you on package deals. I felt their prices were reasonable, and they have different photographers with different styles. You tell thm what you are looking for and show them some sample pictures you like and they should hook you up with someone who meets can shoot what you're looking for. That's what they did for us. Good luck.
    Honeymoon Destination - Hawaii image
  • Options
    Check out Tracey Elizabeth too, she is located in Port Jeff... I am using her and so far she has been so sweet and I love her pictures!!!  We haven't done our engagement session yet, but I can give you an update after we do!  Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have used Julian Ribinik Photography and they were a pleasure to work with.  Their style was exactly what we were looking for-non-interruptive, candid, love it all!
  • Options
    I don't know your budget but I love Susan Stripling and Cliff Mautner if you can splurge. Funny enough they both are located in both Philly and NY, but if you are looking for a little more budget friendly Kimberly Salem and Michael Jin are great too!
  • Options
    we are using funico studios. i found them from the wedding photo journalism site. they have been pretty awesome thus far and it is def a more artistic capturing the moment type of style vs. group table shots. i would check them out. husband wife team
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the responses everyone! My FI and I signed the contract for the photographer last night! We booked Angel Project Photography. His portfolio was amazing. He was one of the knot choice winners for 2012 so that was how I found him. His phorography is more like art and his prices were very affordable and we were even able to get videography and it all be in our budget! I'm super excited.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards