Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Hi Ladies!

Hello, fellow Philadelphia area brides. If anyone has had their wedding at Aldie, I am curious about a few things:

Did the 5 hour limit they have there feel like enough time for both a ceremony and reception with a short cocktail hour in between?

Were they willing to be creative with the butter cream cake that comes as part of the catering deal for dinner? Do they do designs or do you need to bring in a new cake from outside if you want any creative control over it?

We're planning on an outdoor ceremony on an August evening and were told that the shade of the large beautiful trees in their garden would cool the heat down a bit. Was curious if anyone has had an outdoor wedding there in the summer and could speak to the truth of this. 

If anyone has had an outdoor wedding planned there and it rained, how were the back up options?

This may be too specific a post but if anyone can help out, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Re: Hi Ladies!

• edited December 2011
    The timing was fine when I attended a wedding there.  It did rain and the ceremony was held in the ballroom.  It was supposed to be held under the big oak tree halfway down the walkway - not at the end.  But since it didn't happen, I can't help you with the heat problem.
  • edited December 2011
    That's helpful, thank you. 
  • edited December 2011
    My sister had her wedding there in 2003 and the ceremony was outdoors. It was June so it was already a cooler month than August, but I wasn't hot at all! I think it also depends on the time of day that you have the ceremony; her's was around 6 pm. Her cake was really pretty - it was plain with basket weaving and her florist provided fresh gerber daisies, as well. I think she considered adding an extra hour at the end of the reception but ended up not, can't remember why though! PM me if you have any more questions :)
  • edited December 2011
    I had never attended a wedding there, but I did consider it for our venue. I'm pretty sure for the cake you can have them make just about anything, but that there are extra fees for anything that is not considered standard. Are you sure the 5 hours is including the ceremony? At my venue the five hours is for cocktail and reception, but the ceremony is seperate. The ceremony, are you having it in front of that big beautiful tree? One of FI's relatives attended a wedding there and she said that there were loud sounds from the ACME right near there during the ceremony - they were emptying dumpsters or something like that. We asked Aldie about this when we visited and they said that they have a good relationship with the ACME but they can't tell them what to do. I would think if you asked them to hold off on making outside noise for a few minutes, they would understand though.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I did not visit Aldie Mansion, but we are getting married at the Powel House in Old City.  My experience with Jeffrey Miller has been really great so far.  They can pretty much do anything you want, but those kinds of changes do get expensive.  Good luck with your planning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, everyone, for all of this information! I was not aware of the noises from Acme problem :( We did notice how close the property was to residential areas and businesses but we just fell in love with the venue. We'll have to look into that. Hoping that we'd have a similar experience to the June evening wedding. The cake with the basket weaving sounds lovely and my style is definitely simple as opposed to opulent; I like the idea of having the florist dress up the cake. Thanks again :)
  • tubtub member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello,
    I also just booked Jeffrey Miller Catering for my wedding at The Audubon Center which is also an outdoor site, and although I cannot speak about specific wedding details I can say that I cannot give Jeffrey Miller Catering enough good reviews. So far in my process they have been willing to accommodate any of my needs and are so receptive to what I want at my wedding. I have also tried their food at previous weddings and I can say it is DELICIOUS. Overall my experience with them has been wonderful and I think if you have any concerns or questions definitely contact your planner from JM and express your needs! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Kalpi, I was married at Aldie in last August.  I sent you a PM with answers to your questions--let me know if you have any other questions!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, CleverEuphemism! Sent you a message back.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards