October 2012 Weddings
Options

Honeymoons and hurricanes!

Well, THAT was interesting! The husband and I were on our honeymoon this past week, which was supposed to be a cruise to Florida and the Bahamas and turned into a cruise to Florida, a day in the Bahamas, and then a mad dash up the east coast to stay ahead of Hurricane Sandy. The nice thing about cruise ships is that they move, so there wasn't any getting stuck in the storm, but our itinerary got totally nerfed. We were supposed to make two stops in the Bahamas; we made neither of them. We did spend one day there, as a completely different port which I guess was safer because it was further north. Then we were supposed to go to Charleston, SC to make up for not being able to get to Nassau, but apparently we weren't far enough ahead of the storm there, so we kept going and wound up stopping in Norfolk, VA instead! We had to re-book our excursions three times because things kept getting canceled, and having the ship shake around in the high waves wasn't fun either. But H and I made the most of it, and that's what matters...it was certainly an interesting trip, if nothing else!

I hope everyone else is currently safe from the storm and hasn't had wedding or honeymoon plans affected too badly by the weather!
October 2012 December Siggy - A Favorite Wedding Photo image

Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes!

• Options
    Wow!  Glad you're safe, but that sucks that it wasn't what it was supposed to be!

We are supposed to fly to Puerto Rico tomorrow.  So far nothing is cancelled and I hope we can still go!!!  Otherwise it looks like possibly Wednesday :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we kept trying to switch our flight out to earlier and they kept telling us we were not in the "impact zone " so it would have cost us $1000 !!! then they kept saying oh Monday will be fine blah blah blah we called 6 times! then they called us and said our flight was cancelled! seriously pissed about it  as of right now we are scheduled to fly into Miami on Tuesday night, then fly from Miami  to st Lucia on Wednesday, on a different airline < so we lose 3 days > because apparently delta only flies to st Lucia on Saturday Sunday and Monday! so they wanted us to push our trip back a week- um sorry cant do that our dog is already at the kennel we are already off work and the resort we booked is non-refundable! so hopefully we are OK to get out of Philadelphia on Tuesday!
  • Options
    The exact same thing happened to us!  We made the best of it, and still had an amazing time.  However, we got back Saturday, and every now and then I still feel as though my house is rocking lol.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker siggy 6
  • Options
    H and I were on our honeymoon, it was a cruise to PR, St Thomas and Grand turk. We left on sunday and by wed were in PR and then they turned around and headed back to NY so we were only able to go to one Port, we were supposed to come back tomorrow morning but we came in this morning. Im kinda disapointed that we only went to one port but glad we came back a day early bc i couldnt take one more day on the boat in crappy weather...
    atleast FI and i got to spend time together after all the hectiness with the wedding and our everyday lives....

Hope everyone stays safe!
  • Options
    We may have been on the same cruise!  I wouldn't say it ruined our honeymoon but put a slight damper on it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_honeymoons-and-hurricanes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:4fc6d2be-97c6-4b4c-bdf4-8332fb5eec0dPost:cb157552-9492-4459-a7b0-ea8f45c380b0">Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The exact same thing happened to us!  We made the best of it, and still had an amazing time.  However, we got back Saturday, and every now and then I still feel as though my house is rocking lol.  
    Posted by CarolineandDean[/QUOTE]

LOL, yes! I can definitely relate to that!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_honeymoons-and-hurricanes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:4fc6d2be-97c6-4b4c-bdf4-8332fb5eec0dPost:a9433dde-4656-46ff-b421-a69ddc43efbd">Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We may have been on the same cruise!  I wouldn't say it ruined our honeymoon but put a slight damper on it.
    Posted by mindy1215[/QUOTE]

Norwegian Jewel?
  • Options
    Glad to hear you made the best of your HM despite the unforeseen weather circumstances.  I am not a fan of cruises but I will say that it is a HUGE advantage when it comes to bad weather, the ship can just avoid it.  

We went to Jamaica for our HM and flew out JUST in time.  The day we left, the hurricane was just about to come through.  It was rainy and gloomy but no high winds or anything crazy because the storm was supposed to hit Jamaica the day after we left so we were ok.  Turns out that just a few hours after our flight took off, the US embassy shut down and they shut down the airport.  We lucked out and narrowly missed it.  We had trip insurance so it wouldn't have been a total loss.  Sadly, I almost wished we had left a day later and got stuck in Jamaica because of the hurricane.  I didn't want to go back to work that bad.  I'll take my all-inclusive food and drinks in Jamaica anyday over working!  
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_honeymoons-and-hurricanes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:4fc6d2be-97c6-4b4c-bdf4-8332fb5eec0dPost:a9433dde-4656-46ff-b421-a69ddc43efbd">Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We may have been on the same cruise!  I wouldn't say it ruined our honeymoon but put a slight damper on it.
    Posted by mindy1215[/QUOTE]

Carnival Miracle that left out of NY?

i dont think our HM was ruined either, im just glad we are off the boat now!
  • Options
    Eesh, how scary! Glad you made it back safely.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    It hit us this past Wednesday at Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica. Wiped out over half the resort so we didn't get the experience we expected, but they did comp everyone a free trip to at Sandals within the next year :) so we get a second honeymoon!!!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We were supposed to go to St. Lucia after our wedding 10/13/12.  We chose NOT to go because of hurricane Rafael.  We lost our travel insurance and are headed to Jamaica in December now.  H and I are joking that if we keep scheduling trips there might be more hurricanes.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_honeymoons-and-hurricanes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:4fc6d2be-97c6-4b4c-bdf4-8332fb5eec0dPost:25016ab9-1b0a-43cc-85af-3e0cf2dc2742">Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honeymoons and hurricanes! : Norwegian Jewel?
    Posted by pockysquirrel[/QUOTE]

<div>Yupp!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards