Students

med school plans?

I wanted to get some feedback on my plan to see if there are any areas I may have missed:

My wedding will be in may 7, 2016. This will be a few weeks before grad and a week before finals. I will be graduating with a B.S. in Biochemistry. I will be applying ti medical school at that time. Either two things can happen:

~ I get into medical school and we live in an apartment offcampus.
~ I don't get in and I get a job that will get me some money as well as give me more expirence so I can apply the following year.

Even though, my wedding is 4 years off, I am starting to save (I am unsure what I am exactly planning as far as speifics but either way it going to cost money lol). I have a few big projects like getting confirmed (possibly), getting braces (and getting them off), and him meeting my family..

Re: med school plans?

• He hasn't even met your family and yet you two are engaged?  How old are you?
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • He has met my imediate family. He needs to meet my extended family like cousins and grandparents.
    We will be 23 and 24. 
  • annmarie714annmarie714 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Will be 23 and 24 so you're 19 & 20?

Medical school is as easy to get into as nailing jell-o to a tree.  Don't bank on getting in RIGHT after undergrad.  Very few do...FI waited 2 years with amazing stats (MCAT, undergrad GPA, 2 continuing ed research programs, and extensive work at the local hospital) so make plans accordingly.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-school-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:87446ec6-8cde-4510-bcf3-433ec3a1a2b9Post:b9b8322e-2219-4942-9335-07c47138c67b">Re: med school plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Will be 23 and 24 so you're 19 & 20? Medical school is as easy to get into as nailing jell-o to a tree.  Don't bank on getting in RIGHT after undergrad.  Very few do...FI waited 2 years with amazing stats (MCAT, undergrad GPA, 2 continuing ed research programs, and extensive work at the local hospital) so make plans accordingly.
    Posted by annmarie714[/QUOTE]
    I have a plan if I do and if I don't. The fact is half of all applicants don't get in there first time and I accept that (that doesn't mean I won't try my hardest).  If I don't, i will be fine working in the meantime with a B.S.in biochemistry.Thanks for the advice :) I have a summer job at a camp so during that time (or before if the rejection letters come in early) I will try to interview for jobs that can get me some $ and some more expirence
  • I think the bigger questions here is why are you planning this now and why a week before finals? That sounds like a terrible idea. No offense, but you want to be able to study for finals to do well and to celebrate your graduation...without trying to pull off a wedding at the same time! Why not plan the wedding for after graduation? Med schools don't start until August, you'd have plenty of time to have the wedding in June or July even if you go straight through. I wouldn't stress about a date or any of that right now...you are 4 years away so I'm guessing you haven't even started undergrad! Enjoy these years and devote your time to premed (you'll need it haha)...there's no rush to get married and nail down details 4 years away at this point
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-school-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:87446ec6-8cde-4510-bcf3-433ec3a1a2b9Post:732cfe6d-432b-4baf-9cad-d2b69d46e404">Re: med school plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the bigger questions here is why are you planning this now and why a week before finals? That sounds like a terrible idea. No offense, but you want to be able to study for finals to do well and to celebrate your graduation...without trying to pull off a wedding at the same time! Why not plan the wedding for after graduation? Med schools don't start until August, you'd have plenty of time to have the wedding in June or July even if you go straight through. I wouldn't stress about a date or any of that right now...you are 4 years away so I'm guessing you haven't even started undergrad! Enjoy these years and devote your time to premed (you'll need it haha)...there's no rush to get married and nail down details 4 years away at this point
    Posted by TeamSnugglefest[/QUOTE]

<div>Sorry I am a bot of a planner. We want may 7 because it is our anniversary so we thought it would be nice to keep the date. That's really the only reason we have a date. I am not signing any contracts for a hall or anything anytime soon lol :). I have started a bit of undergrad (I went to community college so I have some credits, also depending on how many classes I can get done I can graduate a semester early and take out the finals factor completely, though I just missed the number to make me a soph. instead of a freshman).</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-school-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:87446ec6-8cde-4510-bcf3-433ec3a1a2b9Post:13ce28d6-b704-40bd-a158-75a0bfd88dd5">Re: med school plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: med school plans? : Sorry I am a bot of a planner. We want may 7 because it is our anniversary so we thought it would be nice to keep the date. That's really the only reason we have a date. I am not signing any contracts for a hall or anything anytime soon lol :). I have started a bit of undergrad (I went to community college so I have some credits, also depending on how many classes I can get done I can graduate a semester early and take out the finals factor completely, though I just missed the number to make me a soph. instead of a freshman).
    Posted by Yankees413[/QUOTE]
    I notice a lot of couples wanting to get married on their anniversary because of sentimental reasons, but if it's not convienent, pick a different date.  It would make more sense to get married a few weeks later in May or in summer.  If you absolutely want to get married during undergrad I would do it during a summer break and not during a semester or around finals/exam time. 

How long have you two been together?
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_med-school-plans?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:87446ec6-8cde-4510-bcf3-433ec3a1a2b9Post:3dfbe1af-e78c-4ce7-ae7e-f913e1088803">Re: med school plans?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: med school plans? : I notice a lot of couples wanting to get married on their anniversary because of sentimental reasons, but if it's not convienent, pick a different date.  It would make more sense to get married a few weeks later in May or in summer.  If you absolutely want to get married during undergrad I would do it during a summer break and not during a semester or around finals/exam time.  How long have you two been together?
    Posted by ChristineNB[/QUOTE]
     We havae been together for 4 years. I want to get married on my anniversary but if things change around and shift, I am open to changing my date. May 7 i have my heart set on but if things start going against it, then I will change it.
  • Just a side note: med schools start at all different times! My fiance started med school in July, while a few of his friends had to start in June, and others weren't until September. I completely understand you're desire to plan (I share that!!), but be flexible with your date as you get closer to the 2016 mark. You may find that a wedding right before finals is more stress than you want to deal with!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards